02 | Theodore Nott

ANDROMEDA AND DAVINA apparated right onto the front steps of 12 Grimmauld Place. As soon as Davina caught a glimpse of the street sign, she knew at once where she was. Grimmauld Place was the former Black family residence. Her mother, Narcissa, and her two older sisters, Bellatrix and Andromeda, were born into the Black family. Their cousins, Sirius and Regulus Black, grew up in this very place. 

Andromeda was about to open the front door when she realized that Davina was still in the manila uniform. With a hidden frown, she conjured up a pair of jeans and a simple black top from her daughter's bedroom back at her house. She handed them to Davina who, much to her shock, wordlessly stripped down on the front step and changed into the clothes. Andromeda was suddenly glad for the invisibility wards surrounding the residence. 

The front door opened into an extremely narrow hallway. The hall was plastered with ugly beige wallpaper and someone had stupidly decided to shove a coat rack by the door as if there was more space. A couple of doors led off from the hallway into other rooms, though most remained unseen to Davina because they were closed. She trailed behind her until they reached a closed door at the opposite end of the hall, just past a wooden staircase that spiraled up to another floor of the house. 

The room beyond was a large kitchen with an elongated table not unlike the ones in the Great Hall at Hogwarts, but instead of children sitting at it, the table seated more than a dozen of Order members. The Weasley couple and their eldest son sat at one end of the table alongside Remus Lupin and Sirius Black. Across from them sat Ted Tonks and Nymphadora Tonks, Andromeda's husband and daughter, respectively. At the other end of the table sat Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape, and Minerva McGonagall. The rest of the table seated other wizards Davina vaguely recognized such as Mundungus Fletcher, Mad-Eye Moody, and Kingsley Shacklebolt. They were all in the middle of a heated conversation but it stopped almost immediately when Davina walked in behind Andromeda.

"What is the Malfoy girl doing here!?" Kingsley inquired, looking to Dumbledore.

Davina's amused gazed also turned to Dumbledore. "So the Order conducts their top-secret business at a picnic table?"

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled but he did not humor her with a reply to her comment. Instead, he spoke to his fellow Order members in that calm, all-knowing voice that usually set Davina's teeth on edge. "Andromeda and I agreed that Davina would be a valuable asset to the Order. I expect you all welcome her without hostility."

"How do we know she can be trusted!?" Bill Weasley questioned gruffly, turning his stony gaze to her. His long, flaming red hair was tied back behind his head and he looked at her with guarded blue eyes. "She's Lucius Malfoy's daughter, after all."

Mrs. Weasley placed a hand on her son's shoulder as she stood from her seat. "Four years ago, you saved our daughter's life alongside Harry against You-Know-Who. I am forever grateful to you for that. You're welcome in my home anytime."

"Mom-" Bill began, but Mrs. Weasley smacked his shoulder.

Sirius clapped his hands together and smirked. "Anyone with hair like that is welcome in my home. I've been waiting a very long time to meet you, little cousin. Please, join us."

He waved his wand and transfigured a teapot into a chair and set it between him and Mr. Tonks. Davina sat down between them and after formally introducing herself to Mr. Tonks, Nymphadora forced her father to slide over so that she could sit with her younger cousin. Nymphadora and Davina had met once in Diagon Alley before the start of Davina's second year at Hogwarts. There was seven years between the girls, making Nymphadora twenty-three, but she acted as though she was exactly her age. 

After a few moments of murmuring and awkward silence, everyone slowly grew more comfortable with having Davina in their midst and the volume in the room increased again. Apparently, before she and Andromeda had arrived, they spoke of Dementor sightings around Little Whinging.