26. Muse

Tyra

"Tyra will join you in a couple of minutes," Jett told Ember. He was holding the car door open for her, a sight that might have alarmed me if I hadn't seen Ember's unfiltered feelings towards Kane up-close. It was also obvious just by watching the way Jett watched Ember that there was no romantic interest present on his part- yet he still treated her well. As if she were a little sister he was looking out for instead of the woman he was being paid to protect. (And a whole lot if it was any close to my own salary.) Seeing them together only solidified my positive opinion of his character. In fact, if the man got any better I might suspect him of being a mermaid. Why? Unlike Disney's version, the mermaids I knew were underwater fae who posed as the man or woman of a person's dreams and lured them into the sea with promises of wedding bells and happily ever afters- only to stand by (likely eating popcorn) while the pitiful person drowned to death. Very unpleasant business.

I hoped Jett wasn't a mermaid.

He didn't smell like one, I thought, studying him more closely. His attention was on Ember who was hurrying out of the parking lot- and then all of a sudden he was opening my door and leaning towards me. "You're staring," he said, hand reaching out.

My body instantly went rigid- but he was only reaching for my pockets, the wrappers on the sweets crackling as he stuffed my coat pockets to the brim with them. In the next breath he had shut my door and was in the driver's seat, turning to me with an expectant look. "Well?"

I raised my boots and settled them on the dashboard, hiding a smirk at the distracted look he gave my legs. I wasn't wearing the outfit he'd tossed at me- that had been less revealing- and he seemed caught between appreciation and annoyance at the fact. "You don't like me staring at you?" I asked him.

He sat back in his seat, gaze shifting slowly back to my face. "I like it. I'd also like to know what you're thinking about while you're staring."

I batted my eyes innocently. "What if I'm calling you bad names?"

"Stop trying to provoke me."

I gasped. "Why would I provoke the all-knowing Jett who holds the key to my recovery in the palms of his sexy hands?"

Not a twitch out of him. "You don't really think I can help you."

I dropped the fake expression, glaring daggers at him. "I think you're too confident about my will to get better for someone who met me a day ago."

"You heard about how Ember used Kane's powers to give her kick a boost, pack magic can likewise strengthen a person's will. Werewolves are stronger together, it's why staying in packs secures their survival."

"I'm not a werewolf, genius."

"You're my mate."

"Do you still believe in Santa Claus too?"

"Getting you to realize you have a strong will-"

"You're very good at ignoring people. Is that an acquired skill?"

"You realizing you have a strong will is the first step," he continued calmly. "The pack will provide you support until you can stand on your own."

"Long story short, your plan is to brainwash me into thinking I'm stronger than I really am, and then have me rely on a group of strangers to keep me from losing my shit until I stop losing my shit." I slammed my fist on the wheel, shoving my face inches from his. "What if I never stop losing my shit?"

His hand covered my fist, his nose nuzzling my cheek. "You can dump it all on me."

My breathing became a shaky, loud thing I couldn't seem to control. I retreated with a hiss. "Why the hell would you let me do that?"