29. Love is a Battlefield

Ember

The rest of the week passed by relatively quickly and uneventfully- at least where Kane was concerned. We lived in the same house but I rarely caught even a glimpse of him, could in fact count all of those glimpses on a single hand. He also wasn't coming to art class any more, but Jett told me he'd dropped out of that class to fit in pack duties and catch up on assignments he'd neglected while losing his mind over me in wolf form. (His words, not mine.)

The reason had been plausible yet I still couldn't get rid of the nagging feeling that told me Kane was avoiding me. But why?

Was he having second thoughts about us and decided establishing distance early on would make the future split easier? No, he wouldn't have gotten all jealous over Victor if that was the case.

Was he annoyed about not being able to share a room? Not spending any time with me seemed like a dramatic response to that. On the other hand, hasn't he always been a bit of a drama queen?

"What do you think?" I asked Mitsuki.

Mitsuki was the latest addition to our pack, a self-professed hermit, gossip and lover of hugs. I was thankfully spared from her usual avalanche of hugging today though. She was too preoccupied with cleaning.

"Give me a minute to think about it," she said, wiping at a window. The place was already clean and organized down to the neat row of snacks on the living room table, but she's been insistently cleaning already clean surfaces and straightening already straight things. I would have left her to her cleaning if I had someone else to talk to but there was no one available, Ian was still MIA (I was starting to worry even though Fiona was with him) and I didn't want to bother Jett after Tyra bailed on him. He was constantly staring at his phone, waiting for her to call I suspected. I was hanging out with Victor a lot but I didn't want to freak him out with my problems when we were just starting to become friends.

That left Mitsuki.

Plus, I kind of wanted an excuse to check up on her. She was new to the pack and I heard from Bluebell that she hadn't left her apartment once since I went to Faerie. She's been inside for a month, that couldn't be good for her. Werewolves were social creatures, they relied on each other to survive. Maybe I could lure her out for a walk...

"This place is already clean," I ventured.

"Cleaning helps calm me down," she replied.

I cleared my throat. "Is hearing about my problems stressing you out?"

She shook her head. "I was in the pack's group chat earlier, some fool named Darius was being insensitive and talking trash about Thomas." She pressed her lips together, scrubbing at the glass with more force than necessary. "We get it, he's jealous Helen likes Thomas but that doesn't give him the right to be mean to the poor guy. I hate scumbags."

Looks like I'll be paying dear Darius a visit soon.

"Darius is always saying insensitive things. You should ignore him," I said, popping an M&M into my mouth. "Want to go for a walk? Blow off some steam?"

She shook her head.

Vengeance might be the best lure. "Or we could go to Darius' place and menacer him."

"Menacer him?" Mitsuki asked, stopping her mad wiping.

I shrugged. "I've been trying my hand at French since I met the crazy Canadian alpha." I also had a lot of time on my hands while I was searching for a part-time job and living off a boyfriend who was avoiding me like the plague.