40. Meeting a Mermaid

Ember

The next morning we picked Tyra up from her dance class and were on our way to meet the mermaid. According to Fiona, our mythical sea creature lived in the city like any other human being, but I really hoped she wasn't too human. If she was I didn't think she'd stand much of a chance at killing Light.

"How did your class go?" I asked Tyra, partly out of curiosity and partly in search of a distraction.

"It was lousy." Tyra folded her hands behind her head from where she sat in the front seat. "We spent the whole time jogging, only danced for about twenty minutes and you know what Red said to me at the end?"

"See you tomorrow?" Jett guessed from the seat beside me.

Tyra twisted around to face him, deadpan. "She asked me for your phone number."

"She already has his number," Kane said, stopping the car at a red light and giving Tyra a brief sympathetic look. "He's my second, all the pack members have Jett's number."

Tyra hissed out a breath. "She's toying with me!"

"She is," Kane agreed.

"She has a fiancé," Jett said, leaning towards Tyra with concern furrowing his brow.

Tyra scoffed. "I already know she has a fiancé- that's why I said she's toying with me."

Jett reached out and wrapped a finger around one of her curls. "You won't quit her classes, will you?"

Without looking, she traced the half-moon tattoo on the back of his hand. "Of course I'm not going to quit, no one messes with me and gets a decent night's sleep. I'll learn everything she can teach me and shock her with my mastery."

Lips curling at that, Jett pressed a kiss to the nape of her neck and I looked away, instantly uncomfortable. It reminded me of the public displays of affection I'd awkwardly thrown at Kane the day before.

The kiss I'd initiated had been so robotical, a far cry from the way Helen had kissed him.

And the shock on his face?

Ugh.

At least May had followed through on her promise and let Kane join her group last night. Kane came back in an obvious good mood and didn't even mind when Ian asked him how his Undoing Douchebag Tendencies Club was going.

Trudging through that madness had thankfully paid off.

"Ember?"

I turned from the passing scenery beyond the window. "Yes?"

Tyra was holding a piece of paper out for me. I took it, peering down at the numbers scrawled on it. Was it Tyra's number? It didn't make sense for her to give it to me since I already had it, Jett had stored every single pack member's phone number into my contacts. "What is this?"

"A gift from our dear friend Red," Tyra said, glancing at Kane as he made a turn. "She said she wanted to set you up on a blind date and to call that number if you were interested in six packs and a good tumble in bed."

Screech.

The car veered off the road, a line of foreboding trees rushing towards us at an alarming rate. I opened my mouth to shout...and Kane jerked the car back onto the road.

He cursed, hands gripping the wheel hard.

Tyra laughed. "Looks like she's messing with you too, Alpha."