17. Talk

This chapter is dedicated to FandomPride101 for always thanking me for updating even though I'm the one who's thankful that you're reading. Thank you! 

Ember

Kane took me to a café not far from his house, its interior too classy for my usual tastes but their heavenly donuts and coffee made stepping out of my comfort zone worth it. It also kept my mind off the fact that Kane wasn't talking at all anymore and I had no idea how to start a normal conversation with him- or whether starting a conversation was even necessary. He'd always been the quietest one when he was in a crowd, occasionally listening to Darius and Helen's outburst when he felt like it. It didn't make sense to force him to be talkative just to quell my-annoying and unnecessary- unease.

Once I'd finished eating both my chocolate and vanilla donuts there was nothing left to keep me occupied, so I sipped my coffee and tried not to fidget in my seat. I observed the people entering and leaving, the majority of them on their way to work and dropping by to get some coffee on their way. Busy people busy living their lives. It made me realize I'd have to go to the college and explain why I've been absent for a month. I was kidnapped by a fae I owed a favor- I know, favors plus fae equals bad, it won't happen again- and he took me to a party but the time went over my head and before I knew it a month had gone past. Sorry.

The insane part was that's exactly what I'd have to tell the administration. Perks of going to a supernatural college, there's no need to lie if you get kidnapped by a faerie and miss classes.

I glanced back at Kane, he was on his fifth donut, appearing neither hurried nor nervous. I wished I could be that aloof about everything.

"You can talk if you want," Kane said, wiping his hands with a napkin. He picked up his own coffee, eyes clear and knowing as they stared at me. "I'll listen."

"You promised me on the way here that you wouldn't read my mind anymore," I said, bristling.

"I didn't." He smiled, then pursed his lips to hide the action. "Anyone can see how nervous you are if they're paying enough attention."

"You don't look like you're paying much attention to anyone," I said, then held up a hand with a cautionary look, "if you say something like I'm the only one you pay attention to I'll throw my coffee at you."

He raised his brows. "I do pay attention to my surroundings. Why would you think I don't?"

I waved a hand. "You have a far-off look all the time."

He leaned back in his chair, folding his hands over his chest. "Sight isn't the most reliable of senses, I prefer paying attention to the things you don't see. Take yourself for instance, the soles of your shoes have been shuffling non-stop since we came here. A nervous tick. You cleared your throat several times, but never spoke. I guessed you wanted to talk to me but were unsure how- and it's not the first time I've seen you do that. You used to do it all the time in school. Old habits. You've always been nervous around other people."

"Have you been watching Sherlock lately by any chance?" I teased.

"Also, I'll risk a coffee shower and say this: I always pay attention to you," he said, deadpan.

I stifled a laugh. "Okay, so I'm easily intimidated around people. Is that the basis for the whole pathetic omega storyline you had going on?" I asked, for the first time feeling curious rather than contemptuous about the topic.

His gaze turned wary despite the fact that I wasn't spoiling for a fight. (Maybe I wasn't the only one having trouble with old habits?) "When dominant wolves want a wolf to remember pain they inflict, they target the place it hurts the most. That way it leaves a lasting impression."