Part 13

(Black Sheep's pov)

Did I mention I hated emotions? On one hand, I was thrilled that my friends wanted to help me. But I knew this was just lead to disappointment. Where ever Coach Brunt was being held it wouldn't be something you would be able to find on the internet. Not to mention I also felt guilt, I couldn't tell Beth about this even though I was supposed to. But in the end, I already knew that I was gonna eventually betray her trust so there was no point in getting upset about it.

Still, I couldn't just go straight home. Beth would ask how my day was, and I was worried that I would crack like a nut. I needed time to spread my thoughts out. I also needed to pay attention so I didn't fall to the ground like I just did.

"Hey, are you alright you got to watch where your walking," Tyler said giving me his hand and pulling me up to my feet? I give a short nod suddenly feeling a bit shy. Again I hate emotions.

"Your Carmen right?" I nod unable to speak.

"Why don't we walk together were going to the same bus anyway, you can tell about your first day." He said with a smile.

"Mine was boring tell me about yours," I said not really wanting to talk about my day.

"Alright let's see, well we had a spelling test today and, yeah I got nothing, looks like both of our days were pretty boring," Tyler said with a shrug as we made our way up onto the bus. I nod fidgeting with my fingers and I take a seat next to him.

"How does chess club work?"

"Right to the point I see," he said chuckling, " We meet every Tuesday after school for an hour and we go over strategies ad play a few games, we don't have many members though, so when someone can't make it, things can get pretty boring.

I nod sympathetically, it was never fun to play chess against yourself, and I would know.

"That's my seat."

"Come on Rina there are no assigned seats-"

"Fourth graders get the back of the bus, I was lenient since it was her first morning on the bus-"

"It's fine I'll just go-" I say starting to stand up not waiting to draw any attention to me. To my surprise, he grabs my arm and gently pulls me back down into the seat.

"No she can go we were here first," Tyler said giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I said move!" Rina yelled tugging at my hair and ripping me out of my seat and onto the floor. She smiled triumphantly taking the seat next to Tyler. I didn't know what to do. If I was on the island Coach Brunt would deal with someone who did this to me or I would have to let it go because there was no way I would win in a fight.

But I could beat this girl. Thankfully I don't have time to make that decision as an adult makes their way to us, presumably the bus driver.

"Rina you know better than to pick on someone like then, our mother would be disappointed, just wait until I come over for dinner tonight!"

"You know her?" I asked confused as I stood up.

"I'm her aunt," the woman said somehow giving a warm smile to me while a glare at the girl whose name I know knew to be Rina.

"Oh all the buses are leaving- we'll talk about this later." The woman said making her way up to the front of the bus.

The fact remained still that Rina had still taken my spot, did I just let it go or-"

"Everyone take a seat." I guess I had to let it go. For know anyway. I look around to see all the seats were filled. I end up having to sit in the front row. Eventually, there are only a few kids left on the bus. Including Tyler and Rina. Then it became time for Tyler to get off but not Rina.

Maybe it was because I just didn't want to go home, or because I was sacred that Rina might do something with Tyler no there, but I rushed off the bus behind him, even though it wasn't my stop.

Wait, Carmen, you didn't get on with me this morning I don't think this is your stop-" But it was too late the bus was already gone. Leaving me with a nervous smile and Tyler with a what the heck do I do know expression on his face.

"I uh, do you know your address?" 

I shake my head, looking back me and Beth had never gone over what the address was. Or a phone number to reach her with.

"What about a phone number?" I shake my head.

"Look Carmen you can't just dart off the bus if it's not your stop, you could get lost, or hurt," Tyler said concerned. I lowered my head, I didn't mean to make him worry, and without meaning to by him being the oldest I had accidentally made him become in charge of me.

"Look, why don't you come back to my house, my older sister would be home by know, she can call my mom, who can call the school and they can find out where you live." Even though it was meant to be a statement it had come out more like a question. I didn't mean to but a tear fell down my cheek what if his sister couldn't get in contact with their mom?

"Hey don't cry Camen, everything will be alright, I mean this gives us a chance to hang outright? You can show me your chess skills." Tyler said clearing not knowing what e was saying and just trying ti cheer me up. Regardless it had worked. I smiled nodding as I wiped the tear away.

"Just a warning my bedroom is messy, I didn't think I would be having company," Tyler said as we made the way up his driveway to the door.