Part 7

Beth walked in the front door to the house slumping into a chair closing her eyes exhausted. She had spent all day at a meeting with her boss arguing over whether Black SHeep should start attending school next week. Beth had argued against it knowing Black Sheep was still not ready. As ambitious as Black Sheep was despite bringing her to the playground everyday she had yet to make any friends besides Jackie. It would be one thing if she just chose not to interact with other kids but she went out of her way to not interact with them let alone let them come near her.

She still didn't get a lot of things other kids did but luckily thanks to Jackie who didn't seem to mind she was slowly learning, though still not quick enough it felt like. She figured out most things pretty quickly but there were some things that Black Sheep couldn't comprehend for the life of her and a big one was sharing. She never had to share anything on the island she never had to learn that key skill. Another one was watching. She knew to wait while someone was talking but she just didn't understand why she had to wait in a line to get something. This caused a lot of problems.

Waiting in line to get books checked out from the library was painful for both of them and if Black Sheep always started to get mouthy when someone started a conversation and would begin to complain and Beth would send her off but by the time Beth had checked the books out Black Sheep had found another one and the process started all over again.

Then there was the idea in Black Sheeps head that if someone has something she should have it too. Whether it was ice cream or a toy. A few times it had gotten out of hand and Black Sheep would just take something out of someone else's hands, causing a whole other can of worms to open.

She saw a toy in a toy store that another kid had and Black Sheep found one like it and took the small toy without Beth noticing until they got home and she had asked Black Sheep where she had gotten it. She felt humiliated having to go back and explain to the manager what happened and pay for it, luckily he was understanding and it wasn't an unusual event.

When Beth explained why she couldn't take it even though she explained it before about other things Black Sheep had only seen that it was know paid for so she could have it. She had thrown a huge tantrum leading her to her first time out. That of course had lead to an even bigger tantrum.

That was why Black Sheep was not ready as Beth explained to her boss, but the decision had been made Black Sheep would start school next week. Beth looked at the time and sighed, Black Sheep had gone over Jackies house for her fist ever playdate. She was reluctant to leave her there but Black Sheep had refused to stay with her husband and it was the only option left. Getting up she left to go get her.

To her surprise when she went to get her she saw Black Sheep and Jackie nicely playing on the floor with dolls. Beth let out a sigh of relief she had feared that something bad would have happened. That made her remember that despite the bumps Black Sheep had made a ton of progress during the meeting Beth only looked at the negative and forget about the positive. Maybe Black Sheep was ready for school after all.

Beth watched them without noticing Jackie's mom walking up behind her nor Black SHeep and Jackie noting that she was there watching them.

"Amazing huh, Jackie hasn't had another kid come over here for over a year I was honestly so afraid something would go wrong and they would get in a fight I see you did to. I guess we have to have a little more faith in them it's just so hard to let go you know?"

Beth nodded, "I know exactly what you mean." She paused for a moment.

"Would you like something to drink I think the girls would be happy to play a little longer"

"Yes that would be nice"

"Good you can tell me what's troubling you."

Beth sighed, "Black Sheeps starting school next week I'm going to tell her tonight, it's just im not sure if she's ready there's still so much she doesn't know I feel better that Jackie will be there with her but I'm afraid what will happen when she's with so many kids at once.

"I think I know what could help with that Jackie's birthday is this Saturday a few kids from her , well their class are coming it won't be as big but it would be a good experience, I know Jackie would love her to come."

"Thank you, that would be great."