Chapter 9: Secret overload: Keefe's POV

Keefe had too many emotions to process. All this time Biana had an ability just like Keefe and he hadn't known. He could have helped her control her abilities or let her know that he knew what she was going through.

"Keefe, I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier," Biana said. She looked about ready to cry.

Keefe tried to form words, but he had so many things going on in his head. So many questions. Finally he settled on asking, "Do your parents know?"

Fitz and Biana nodded.

"They know. So does Alvar. Our parents didn't want us telling anyone because they thought that people would start coming after Biana and judging her. They wanted to protect her and..." Fitz didn't finish the sentence, but Keefe guessed he was about to say 'the family name'. Sure, Della and Alden were amazing people, but they were also well known and had high status jobs in the government. People finding out their daughter had an ability, well that wouldn't be good.

Keefe couldn't help feeling hurt about the fact that Della and Alden hadn't trusted him with this information. He knew it was stupid. Biana was here finally trusting him with this big secret going against what her parents had told her to do, but instead he was focusing on himself.

Keefe sighed. "I'm glad you guys finally decided to tell me."

"You're not mad?" Biana asked unsure.

"Well, of course not. We've been friends for...what? Eight years now," Keefe said, forming a smirk.

Biana bit her lip, "It's just other people seem to have a problem with, you know, people like me."

Fitz squeezed Biana's hand reassuringly.

Keefe decided it was time to let them in his secret. Biana had taken a big step telling him that and it was only fair he told them about his abilities. Plus, they were his best friends.

Keefe took in a shaky breath."Uh, well, since we're telling each other all our secrets, I guess it's time I fill you guys in..." Keefe looked at his feet like it was the most interesting in the world.

Fitz elbowed him in the ribs encouragely. "Come on Keefe. You know we won't judge you."

Keefe finally built up the courage to blurt out something that sounded like so:"SoumIalsohappentohaveabilities."

Thankfully Fitz and Biana understood and didn't make him repeat it.

"Wait, since when?" Fitz asked, his eyes widening.

"Uh well..." How could Keefe tell them he's been keeping this a secret from them for about seven years? "Umm, I manifested when I was nine."

Keefe was waiting for Fitz to start yelling at him, getting mad for all the years Keefe had lied to them, but what he received instead was completely unexpected.

Fitz hugged him. Soon Biana joined in turning it into a group hug. Keefe wasn't sure what to do with his arms. He hadn't received a hug since... actually Keefe couldn't remember the last time he'd been hugged. At first it was totally awkward, just standing there not knowing what to do, but after a while he finally wrapped his arms around Biana and Fitz. It was nice. Having their support. For all those years he'd kept that secret to himself and it was nice to finally have someone else know about it. It was even better that they understood, Biana also had an ability, she knew how hard it was.

Fitz and Biana pulled away. To Keefe's surprise Fitz had tears in his eyes.

"You've been keeping this secret for seven years? And you've never told anyone. Keefe, I'm so sorry," Fitz said.