Chapter 19: Broken: Keefe's POV

Warning: alcohol use and violence

Author's Note: hey, it's been a while since I last wrote this story, but I'm back! Sorry that it's not the best writing and has a lot of angst (unless you enjoy that like me then you're welcome). This chapter is a bit confusing, but that's mostly because a lot of things haven't been revealed yet. Don't worry I haven't forgotten about Sophie and everyone else (although it might feel like that in this chapter), they'll be back soon enough! :) If you need to review what happened in the last few chapters I would recommend doing that before beginning this one. Have fun reading! (BTW let me know about any grammar errors or how I can better my writing, thanks!)

But when he saw who came up the stairs his heart stopped. That wasn't possible. He should be dead. No, he was dead. He'd...he'd died five years ago. That couldn't be him.

"Hello, Mr. Sencen," said Mr. Forkle with a kind smile. "I heard you kids were up to some trouble."

1 hour later

Keefe's shaky hand struggled to unlock the door to his house. His heart was beating too fast. He didn't want to think.

Inside the house Keefe walked down the hall, the wooden floor squeaking as he went. All the lights in the house were turned off and his mother was nowhere to be seen, probably on another errand. Keefe turned left into the living room. The only light came from the tiny slivers of moonlight through the window and the TV with a sports channel playing. Keefe's dad had fallen asleep on the old, beaten up recliner. Next to the seat were two six-pack beer packages. His dad had been drinking, what else was new?

It was obvious to Keefe that his parents hadn't been the slightest bit concerned about his disappearance. He was invisible to them. Even the people he thought cared seemed to always leave him. Was he only a burden to everyone? Another problem in this world?

Keefe stumbled over to the couch and picked up one of the beer packages. He just wanted to escape his mind. To become a mindless void. He absently walked up the stairs into his room and shut the door. He sunk down to the floor, his back leaning against the wooden door. His room was pitch black.

The first bottle of beer was gone in a minute. It was disgusting. Still Keefe reached for a second.

"Why didn't you tell me you were alive?!"

"I did what I thought best for you."

Keefe closed his eyes. He didn't want to remember.

"I cried for weeks. I refused to eat. Finally my mom got sick of me crying all the time and she forced me to go to school again. Do you really think what you did was to protect me?!"

He was halfway through the third bottle.

"Mr. Sencen-"

"Don't call me that!"

"I'll explain if you just come to the base with me."

Keefe wanted to run away from his thoughts. All he ever does is run away.

"Get away from me!" Keefe stepped away from Mr. Forkle.

"Keefe-"

"No!" Keefe was breathing heavily. "You're not my dad, why do you even care?!"

Mr. Forkle smiled sadly. "You were always like a son to me."

Keefe shook his head and whispered, "Then why'd you leave?"

Keefe threw the bottle against the opposite wall. It shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces, the leftover beer from the bottle was dripping down from the wall onto the floor. Keefe looked down and counted four other empty bottles.