Chapter 14: Piecing it Together: Keefe's POV

Author Note: Hello everyone! Sorry it took me so long to update. This chapter took me like 6 hours to write and it even isn't that good. Anyways, just a quick thing I wanted to mention. So in this fanfic I decided to make Keefe's father, Cassius, a pretty nice dude (he still has his issues, but his better than Keefe's mom, Gilesa). It the Kotlc book series Cassius is a terrible father that I would gladly shove off a cliff (That sounds dark...but okay), but in this fanfic I changed it up a bit. I don't know why I did it, but I did so... yeah. I hope you enjoy! Please like, comment and share this story with others! Thank you and have a great day!

Keefe woke up with a stabbing pain in his right shoulder as he rolled out of bed. He was confused as to why his right arm was in a sling only to remember that just yesterday he'd been shot. Oh, the wonders of fighting crime.

He only had vague memories as to what had happened the day before. Keefe remembered leaving Gears'(the dude that had basically saved his life) house and hailing a cab to bring him to his house. Then out of exhaustion Keefe had collapsed on his bed and blanked out.

Keefe glanced at the time, 1:07 P.M. Happily he didn't have to go to school, but also he had no plan to tell anyone as to why he was missing school. He couldn't just say, Hey I was shot in the arm! Also, how come his parents hadn't come barging in, telling him to head to school already?

Slowly Keefe headed down the stairs into the extremely messy living room. He found his dad watching TV in the recliner.

"Um, hey dad... where's mom?" Keefe asked.

His dad, Cassius, turned around in the recliner. "Oh, she went on another errand. How come you aren't at school?"

Keefe tried to come up with a good excuse, "I-Well, I don't know... wasn't in the mood?"

His dad, being the super chill, careless person he was, only said, "Sounds good to me."

He didn't even ask about why his arm was in a sling. Keefe didn't know whether to feel relieved or upset. His father was a better parent than his mom, but he still had his issues. He drank too much, didn't have a job, tended to not be there when Keefe actually needed him. But on the bright side he was actually nice to Keefe at times unlike his mother.

Keefe headed back up the stairs and decided to come up with an excuse to tell people why he wasn't at school or work. He could just say he got the flu or something. That was pretty simple.

Satisfied with his brilliant thinking Keefe got dressed into some fresh clothes (it was quite difficult with his annoying arm sling in the way) and treated himself to a couple hot pockets. 

Keefe decided to call his work to inform them he was "sick" and that he wouldn't be able to go for a week or two. By then it was already 2:00 P.M.

Keefe sighed. Only about 5 hours before he had to meet at Washington Square park with Mouse Man (yes he'd said to call him Gears but Mouse Man was a very suitable name in Keefe's opinion). To make time go faster Keefe grabbed his sketch pad and put on some music. Drawing was one of the few things Keefe was good at and actually enjoyed.

Before he knew it it was already 5:42 P.M. It would take him a while to get to Washington Square park and since he couldn't drive he'd have to walk there. Keefe would probably have some extra time when he got there, but he couldn't stand another minute in this house.

So, Keefe quickly told his dad he was heading out and left the house in a black hoodie. The hood was pulled all the way down so no one could distinguish his face. As Keefe walked, his phone buzzed.