Chapter 11

Warning: Abuse, ableism

Song: Arcade by Duncan Laurence.

I awake the next morning, by my parents yelling at each other downstairs. I sigh softly, sitting up and moving to the edge of the bed. I move to get up but end up falling to the ground. I wince softly and sit up, rubbing my stump of a leg. I forgot to grab my prosthetic. I reach over and grab the metal and plastic leg. I attach the fake leg to the rest of my thigh and latch it. I move it slightly and smile. Good job, Peet. One thing you'll have to get used to.

I move to reach for the nightstand, to the bunk bed that my brother and I share. He generously let me have the bottom bunk because of my leg. Which I'm thankful for. I push myself up before finding my balance. I strip down and get dressed. Before getting up and walking downstairs to see my Mother walking out of the bakery and my Dad picking up things she must have thrown at him.

I frown, "Was it because of me?" I ask softly. My father jumps back, seeming shocked to see me standing here. How? With my prosthetic it makes me louder than ever even before when I had my leg.

He shakes his head quickly. "No. Son, it wasn't you. Your Mother.." he sighs and rubs his head. "It's nothing"

I look down, I know it's because of me. "Dad. What would you like me to do.?" I ask softly. "Bright side you don't have to pay me anymore." I chuckle lightly and force a smile onto my face.

He smiles. "Could you go pick up our flour at the hob? Bran is out with his fiance. It's his day off. And Rye is at school. And I mean.. you could always go back to school, son"

I shake my head. "It won't be trouble, Dad.. I still have my arms." I chuckle. "You don't have to explain, Dad. I'll be right back." I smile and walk out of the house.

I struggle getting to the Hob. My leg isn't really good in mud and well it's only the second day in twelve having it. I ignore the weird looks and harshful whispers about me.

One of my wrestling buddies, Wolf, runs up to me, his black wavy hair bounces as he runs. His eyes a soft grey color. Yes, I am friends with the Seam kids. There is no difference between us. We are both human. But thing is, the Seam kids stick together. Unlike the Merchant kids..

He has a huge smile on his face. "Heya Pegleg!" I roll my eyes at the new nickname and chuckle. "Real funny wolfie."

He lets out a huff. "I told you not to call me that"

I laugh at his huff. "then don't call me pegleg." I say with a huge smirk.

"Touchè" he says with a playful glare at me. He follows me to the Hob. Telling me how our 'friend', Zayne, a Merchant, has been making fun of my leg since I got home. I frown and fight not to get mad, "as long as he doesn't say it to my brothers I think he's fine. Besides I never liked him anyways. He was always a jerk to the Seam kids.. well the ones who couldn't defend themselves." I gesture to wolf, who has muscular arms and his shoulders are kinda broad and is slightly on the overweight side. Which makes sense, since he was adopted by Merchants.

He chuckles and flexes, "Yeah but I'll put him in his place, right Peet?"

I roll my eyes at him, playfully. "Sure bud. Whatever you say. I'll always back you up." I chuckle.

"Not with that leg" A rough but annoying voice says behind me. Of course. Zayne. Probably taking his weekly girl to the Slag Heap. I brush it off and continue to follow Wolf.

I stop to see a little boy, around Prim's age. This must be the famous Rory I've heard about. He looks like a small version of Gale. Without the constant glares. He seems to have the same type of confidence though.