Chapter 2

(Peeta's pov)

Effie of course woke me up before Katniss. On Haymitch's order. I groan softly but get up. I get changed and walk out of the room. I follow Effie to the dining car and sit down with Haymitch. I could hear Effie walk back to get Katniss.

"Up up up! It's going to be a big big day!" I hear Effie say cheerfully. I can only imagine Katniss' annoyed look.

She walks in and I watch as Effie follows behind her. "Sit down! Sit down" Haymitch says to her. I watch her move to sit. I watch them move food toward her. I chuckle softly as she looked confused at the brown liquid in the white cup she's holding.

I lean toward her and whisper "They call it hot chocolate." I wait a little bit "it's good" I add before moving back to sitting up straight. I watch her take a sip. Her eyes widened, as she forgotten the entire meal in front of her, she chugged down the drink in her hands. I wanted to tell her, told you but I decided against it.

We started eating. I saw her finish eating, I was picking at a roll and dipping it into the tasty chocolaty drink. We soon both watch Haymitch chug a red drink down. We know he's a drunk. Everyone knew. Whatever he went through in those games messed him up. I don't blame him. But Katniss and I need him right now. We need him sober, we need his knowledge of the games. Otherwise district 12 will stick to the one winner. And I am not having Katniss die. Not while I'm still breathing.

"So, you're supposed to give us advice.." Katniss speaks up. I'm glad she did I don't think I would've been able too.

He chuckles softly and says "here's some advice, stay alive."

I shake my head slightly. "that's very funny. I feel the anger rise in my chest, I can't control my actions. I slap the drink out of his hands, giving him a small glare. I watch the blood red drink color the floor and the glass shatter. "Only not to us"

The next thing I know I'm knocked back, falling slightly out of my chair. He spit slightly and let out a slight grunt before getting back up. I stand up to see Katniss has a knife between his fingers for a minute I think she actually hit his fingers but realize she just missed them. He chuckles "what's this?" He asks softly. I thought he was kinda crazy or if it's the booze talking before he went on.

"Do I actually have a pair of fighters this year?" He asks with a smile.

I rub my bruise growing on my jaw. "No let the bruise show." He stopped me. I sigh and look at him confused. "The audience will think you've mixed it up with another tribute before you've even made it to the arena"
"That's against the rules" I add simply.

"Only if they catch you. That bruise will say you fought" he said with a chuckle. He looks over at Katniss "can you hit anything with that knife besides the table?"

I watch her yank the knife up. And hold it by the blade. Before throwing it at the wall. I notice it's between two panels. I try so hard not to gape in amazement. I knew she was good with a bow. I can't believe how amazing she is... wow. I keep learning knew little things and it's pretty amazing. Knowing this will help her in the arena. She'll be safe.. I know it.

"Okay stand over here" he gestures towards where he wants us to stand. I get up and follow Katniss. I blush but try to hide it as we stand close. "Well you're not entirely hopeless. Seem fit. And once your stylists get a hold of you, you'll be attractive enough." He mutters.

I look confuse and look over at Katniss and can tell she is confused as well.

"Alright I'll make you a deal with you. You don't interfere with my drinking. And I'll stay sober enough to help you." He says with a simple shrug. "But you do what I say." He adds quickly.