4

Gabriel was barely holding on when Dean arrived. His breathing was uneven and slow, his eyes remained closed, and his body still. Only the faint glow of Gabriel's soul showed Dean the hunter was still fighting... or at least his soul was.

Before the archangel lay a finger on Gabriel, he took note of the injuries... how much the cost of his grace was for healing him. Several ribs bruised, a few of them cracked, his nose was broken, more than half his blood had left his body... Dean was surprised that Gabriel wasn't dead.

"What're you waiting for?" Castiel hovered over the archangel and his brother. "Heal him! He's dying!" Why was he hesitating?

Sighing, Dean placed two fingers on Gabriel's forehead and closed his eyes. While the wounds healed, he caught wind of a memory that answered one of the biggest questions wandering around his mind.

Several cuts and bruises remained when Dean removed his hand from the hunter's body. He stood up and walked to the other side of the room while Gabriel woke up, taking in deep breaths to not freak out too badly.

Castiel helped his brother up, despite him trying to push away. "Wait... Dean, why didn't you heal him all the way?" That's why Gabriel was attempting to be on his own, Castiel was digging into several severe wounds. "Sorry, Gabriel..."

"Because I know why Sam isn't answering his prayers," the archangel spat. The brothers flinched at his tone. It wasn't kind and worried like it was five minutes ago... Dean was clearly angry. "Sam wasn't too keen over the fact he'd be protecting a human... beings he's hated since the Beginning. 'Go back to Hell to find someone else to bother' 'Take your holy ass back up to Heaven- oh wait, you're not welcome there'?!" A light burst in the warehouse, the glass falling onto the hunters. "No wonder he's not answering you. You told him off, and he was just getting used to hanging around people- even if it's not you."

Did I say that? Gabriel stared at the ground with a frown. "I don't... I never said that." Sam has never visited him either, just the occasional text telling him to not do anything stupid, or don't go wherever he was going. And by occasional... two texts.

A dark laugh erupted from Dean. "You got drunk, and he saved your ass from banging a demon." Castiel stared at his brother in slight shock. "The words you used... I wouldn't answer your prayers either. Just because you were under influence doesn't mean you're off the hook about it, you should be ashamed of yourself."

With that, Dean flew from the room. He needed to find his brother. Now.

The room was dark and held very little air. There were no vents, no air conditioners, nothing to provide any form of life with oxygen. Only an old and dim light gave the room an atmosphere, and even then... the confined space didn't seem at all habitable. It certainly didn't match all the other rooms in Hell either.

Sam didn't care. As a celestial being, he didn't need anything remotely connected to what his vessel would need on its own. Neither did any of the demons, of course. Though there were some who had been on Earth long enough to appreciate light and air conditioning. Ugh.

However, the demon tied to a chair in front of him didn't deserve such treatment. It had defied direct orders from Sam, and those were punishable by... well, punishment. Death, near death, demonic torture... all of those worked.

So far, the demon had endured multiple wounds from an angel blade, something that could harm both angels and demons. And healing wasn't much of an option for the damned either, not if Sam was around to prevent it.

"What part of 'leave the Novaks alone or suffer the consequences' escaped your understanding, Alex?" Sam was furious. He expected some disobedience from the demons on some matters, they are demons, but to cross him like this... they should know better. "Did you think I wouldn't hear about this? His prayers to me? The pain he felt... you think I wouldn't feel that?"

The demon shivered at her boss' voice. If she had known about his wrath, she wouldn't have done anything. "S-Sir please... Y-You didn't..."

Sam took the angel blade and twisted it around the demon's torso, right next to her vessel's heart. "Didn't what? Come to rescue him?" Alex cried out in pain as he inched the blade further, pleading for him to stop through murmurs. "When he asked you to stop, did you? No."

The blade pushed through the demon and dragged through her chest. Alex screamed, her eyes and mouth lighting up until she dropped dead.

Sighing, Sam took the blade out and wiped the blood onto his jeans. He snapped his fingers and two demons appeared, both feeling incredibly small when showing. "Take this out of my sight, show everyone else what happens when they disobey me."

The demons nodded, rushing over to Alex's body and dragging her away. Both wanted to get out of the room as soon as possible, noting that their boss was angry and with a simple snap of his fingers could kill them.

"Dammit..." Sam took a seat in the chair the demon had been sitting in and put his head in his hands. He shouldn't have done this. His original mindset from the Beginning was already crawling through his grace...

This wasn't going to end well for anyone. Especially Gabriel.