19

Not a hint of light entered the room. Darkness always lingered around, never once leaving to let the smallest amount of light in. A long time ago, it would have been annoying and bothersome, but as time passed, it became a familiar atmosphere.

Time. How much has passed? With no light or any glimpse of the outside world, there was no telling how long it had been. Well, it would at least have to be a lot, no specific number could be given. Even the sleep schedule given wasn't helpful... because he didn't have one.

Gabriel was unaware of many things that happened around him and to him. The only concept that wrapped around his head was toture, near death, one meal (he assumed a day) and that being rescued was way out of line. He stopped thinking about it... long ago.

"Morning, sunshine." Gabriel flinched. "I have a proposition for you."

Proposition? What a load of bull. Gabriel did not respond, he stopped talking a long time ago. Instead, he shifted his body to face the wall, ignoring the burning pain from the chains wrapped around his wrists.

The demon frowned. "Accepting this will get you the day off, you know. It's sort of... a win-win situation." He sounded like he was choosing his words carefully, as if Gabriel would soon find out that it was, indeed, not helpful and bull. "Will you not even hear me out?"

No. In this sense, Gabriel knew people would beg for whatever these demons were 'offering'. Anything to get out of torture. But despite what others may think, he's a lot harder to break than it seems.

"You would rather be beaten and tortured to near death than take a break?"

Gabriel titled his head, whiskey eyes narrowing. There's a catch. There's always a catch. He still said nothing, his facial features speaking for him.

The demon scoffed, shaking his head. "If I would've known you Novaks were this stubborn, I would've picked someone else to do this work. If Tristen was still alive, you would be ruined."

That name. Gabriel sucked in his breath, going completely still. It made him think of what he saw when walking into that barn. His little brother tied to a chair, cuts and bruises covering parts of his body that Gabriel could see. All deep and dark, showing how life-threatening it was. Last thing he saw was Cassie's eyes widen, his mouth moving to shape his name, Dean shouting his name, then darkness.

The last thing he wanted was to see that bastard Tristen again. And at the moment, Gabriel had no power in his hands to fight back, both with his words or weapons. Thank God whoever killed him he was dead.

"Touchy subject." The demon formed a sick grin on his lips. "I'm sure we can find something to make you relive those memories." It was at that point, for the first time in a while, Gabriel whimpered in fear. "Oh good, it's already taking effect."

A metal tray with a small cup of water and a loaf of bread dropped in front of Gabriel. He jumped away from it, forcing a laugh out of the demon. "Have peace and quiet while you can, I'll be back in an hour."

The image never left his head. Half-lidded whiskey eyes, lips parted in shock, dirt masking over what was smooth and clean skin, and the blood splattered all over a gray shirt. Dead. Dead in his arms.

He would appear at inconvenient times. Before a town was chosen, before the demon could be tracked, before the town paid for someone else's mistakes. Before more lives were lost. Before he killed more people. Before everyone could perish--

Mercy was no longer a known vocabulary word. It existed, yes, but it was locked in a box that was guarded by another box and a certain part of his mind that would never be approached again. That didn't stop him from showing up.

Occasionally, he would be caught in the act. Someone would take the wrong turn, or open the wrong door and see what was happening. They wouldn't be hunted down until the original deed was done. And always- always, an illusion of him would appear... and he would beg.

"Sam, don't do this."
"This isn't right, and you know it."
"Killing them won't bring me back."
"It's not your fault."

Illusion Gabriel™ didn't sound at all like the real Gabriel. The biggest point being Gabriel is dead, and the other was the sweetness in his tone. There should be shouting, insulting, buckets of sarcasm- because that's who Gabriel is. But there was none of that.

It didn't matter much that they were different from one another. It was still a reminder of Sam's failure... It was a guilt trip. "Killing them won't bring me back". His favorite one to hear, because he was right. Gabriel was never coming back... no matter how many of Tristen's followers Sam killed. But, it did make him feel a little better.

The demons said it too. They would taunt him about it at first, then would mention the hunter's misery and how destroying the world won't bring him back. They would die shortly after that.

Sam was currently taking a break. He sat on a patch of bright green grass, watching the sun and moon switch places. While watching, he reviewed what information he'd gotten out of Tristen's followers involving Gabriel. It wasn't much, but hopefully it was enough to get some kind of location.

Ten minutes passed by as his thoughts rearranged themselves. Unfortunately, he could not come up with anything. Only three out of... he lost count, of the demons gave little clues. And those clues weren't worth shit.

"I'm surprised to see you taking a break, you've been at it non-stop since it happened."

Sam quickly stood up and turned around to see the voice. "Dean." His tone breathed a warning, with a hint of surprise behind it. The other archangel did not move from his spot. "What are you doing here."

"For you," Dean replied simply. "Because all of this," he gestured with his hand to the space around them, "isn't getting anyone anywhere." There was a scowl and a scoff, and both were ignored. "And all the angels, everyone... they're talking about killing you."

He hadn't expected that... or maybe he did. Mass genocide was bound to get Heaven's attention. "And why do you care, Dean? Maybe they're right. Maybe I should be put down." So Gabriel will stop being disappointed in me.

A beat of silence. Dean looked at the ground, taking in a deep breath, then looking up, meeting his brother's eyes. "I care because there's a way to save you by saving him." Sam tilted his head. "Gabriel is alive, and I know where he is."