14

(I'm sorry for not updating in forever! Finals from last semester, lack of imagination, family shit... but here's the next chapter!)

"Decisions, decisions... all of them wrong," Gabriel murmured to himself after tossing another fake FBI ID onto his bed. He was referring to the many IDs he had as well as what he had done after they arrived in Brownwood.

Ten minutes ago, Sam surprisingly answered his call for help on the case. "I'll be there in ten minutes," he had said. There was no question as to why Gabriel needed help on a supposed demon case.

It made Gabriel feel uneasy. If Sam picked up the phone in a matter of seconds and sounded a little worried on the line, something was wrong. Or maybe the archangel was turning over a new leaf, but the hunter doubted that.

While Gabriel was worrying himself over what was going to follow his call with Sam, Castiel was figuring out what he was going to do that evening after they interviewed the farmer whose cows were mutilated. It has been a hot minute since he's been on a date or even had a romantic interest with someone. And on top of that, he had a case to worry about.

"Hey, Cassie," Gabriel called for his little brother. Castiel stopped straightening his tie and turned around. "Uhh... I called Sam and he's going to be helping us out with this one."

Castiel's eyes widened and his mouth parted. He was proud that his brother was done holding his head high and decided to ask for help. But there was also the matter of conflict that could occur with Sam coming along their case. "Oh. I'm uh... nice to see you finally be willing to accept Sam's presence and help."

A glare was sent his way, but his expression fell to rest when Sam appeared in the middle of the room. There was even a sigh of relief that left his lips when the archangel turned to look at him. "Just in time, Samantha."

Sam frowned and gave Gabriel a slight annoyed glare. "It's Sam." The hunter shrugged, a grin remaining on his lips. "You said there's a demon problem that you need my help with?"

Castiel was about to respond, but several knocks from the door interrupted him. He sighed and walked over to the door, peeking out through a crack until he met blonde hair and brown eyes. "Meg."

The door was opened further, allowing the other hunter in. Meg's eyes widened when she met Sam's intimidating gaze, or at least it seemed like that to her. So, she remained standing and waited for an introduction.

"Sam, this is the hunter that told us about the case, Meg." Gabriel waved his hand in the air, gesturing to the blonde. "Meg, this is Sam... he'll be helping us on the case too." He ignored the much more annoyed glare the archangel sent him. He probably should have mentioned Meg would tag along when he called... oh well.

Meg crossed her arms. "We're dealing with demons, three people is enough, don't you think?" Sam snorted and rolled his eyes. "What's so funny, Green Giant? Just because you've got the body and height of a god doesn't mean shit. Three people is enough."

A silence fell in the room. Gabriel wanted to intervene, but he somehow felt that Sam would be the one answering. Period.

However, Castiel figured that Sam would snap more than inform. (And he noticed the hard flinch when Meg mentioned the word 'God') So, he cleared his throat, grabbing everyone's attention. "Sam... is an expert on demon activity. He's dealt with demons all throughout his life. It's better that he's with us."

Meg narrowed her eyes at Sam, looking him up and down. "How come I've never heard of him until now?" She turned to Gabriel. "Is he your boyfriend or something?"

Of course she would go that route. Gabriel clenched his jaw. "Sam is--"

"--Gabriel's boyfriend. They, uh... met on one of the demon hunts," Castiel intervened before his older brother could finish. He ignored both the archangel and Gabriel's glares. Better than telling her they were working with Satan. "He's a good hunter, Meg."

Meg looked to Sam and Gabriel for confirmation. Castiel couldn't be on this bit alone, everyone has to participate in the lie.

"...Yeah he's my... boyfriend." Gabriel tried to avoid cringing as he intertwined his fingers with Sam's. Believable. Surprisingly, however, the archangel didn't seem fazed by any of it. "I, uh, promise none of this will get in the way of the hunt."

Meg backed down, nodding. "Alright. Just... let me know beforehand next time." She waved her hand and made her way out the door. "Be ready in a few hours to visit the farmer! I emailed you some info on him."

As soon as she left and the door was locked again, Gabriel slid his fingers out from Sam's and threw a book at Castiel. "Goddammit, Cas! What the hell?" He was flushed from his cheeks to his ears, both out of anger and embarrassment. "You couldn't..."

Castiel shrugged. "Would you rather have told the truth?" He glanced at Sam, who looked a little upset at the matter. "And you two know what that means right? Acting like a couple and no fighting." In his head, he saw this as a little exercise to them beginning a better... 'relationship'. "Just for this case, okay? Just this case."

Just this case... right?

Right?