00

"it's written in the sky..."

00 | PRELUDE

Charlotte Salvatore was born in the wrong time.

She was an outspoken woman in a time where men chained the female population to the ground, prohibiting them from stepping a foot outside of the home's kitchen. It was a time where, should she speak her thoughts, the community around her would shame her actions and words, calling her ungrateful and a disgrace to the Salvatore name. It was a time where Charlotte did not belong, and everyone knew it.

She was a storm with skin, her temper getting the best of her and emotions overpowering any thoughts that could better explain a situation. She relied on feeling, not logic, and knew that she would follow her gut instinct until the end of the earth. She would fly too close to the sun, like Icarus had so long ago, if it meant that she was following what she believed in. If the sun were her freedom, she would fly to it, no matter the burn, or the inevitable fall.

And everyone knew that the girl would eventually fall.

Born with the brightest blue eyes of the family—which seemed almost impossible—she drew many suitors to her at an early age. Her dark hair contrasted beautifully against her porcelain skin, and the stars danced across her cheeks in the form of freckles; she was the only child to receive such a trait from their mother. Her figure was slim, yet not too tall, with curves appearing in all the right places at just the right time. These blue eyes captivated any man, and her body seemed to convince them that she would make a wonderful bride and mother.

However, the girl's sharp tongue seemed to get her in the worst of trouble growing up, and not even the curses and names her father spewed out every night could deter her from her personality. It was engraved into her very soul to act the way she did, and to not do so would be like stripping her of her identity. She could not be Charlotte Salvatore without her clever and sometimes sarcastic remarks.

This trait, while greatly placing the girl on the outskirts of a woman's society, also seemed to draw men in even more. She was addictive, like a drug. She fascinated a man to the point of burning them with the fiery personality. She was a beautiful mess, like the blazing stars of a clear night sky.

She was extraordinary.

None more than her two older brothers thought this way, often steering the many suitors away before their baby sister could even notice the men's presences. Stefan and Damon Salvatore, while knowing that little Charlie would one day have to be wed, tried their hardest to keep the courting away. They wanted Charlotte to live just a little longer—at least until she was eighteen—before being given away to another man, another family. For the two brothers, both sharing the physical characteristics that made up beautiful Charlotte, this was purely selfish. They wanted her to stay with them just a little longer.

And while their father, Giuseppe Salvatore, often yelled and degraded the young girl for her long wait to marriage and the way she presented herself as an uncontrollable girl, he soon became distracted from his daughter by the visitation of Katherine Pierce. The young, dark-haired beauty would be staying at the Salvatores' home for an unknown amount of time, quickly entangling herself in the lives of everyone, including the wonderful Charlotte Salvatore.

Unaware of the vampire's ways with her brothers, oblivious Charlotte Salvatore quickly grew to be friends with the dark-eyed enchantress, falling under a spell that she herself casted among everyone else wherever she went. Katherine Pierce told the young girl that she had a natural aura around her that made everyone, even the nastiest of hearts, feel drawn in. Charlotte had joked it off, stating that it was simply the eyes that casted such an effect, not her personality.