16

"that pitter patter against your window isn't just the rain... i'll wait for you until the storm clears."

16 | ROADTRIP BUDDY

June, 2010

Charlotte was nothing more than a shadow, a slinking void of darkness that waited patiently, letting the world turn round and round until just the right moment. She was on the hunt, every sense ignited and dialed up toward a hundred—she could smell sweat and barbecue, she could hear insects buzzing and a dog barking, she could taste the water in the air, she could sense the movement in the house as if the footsteps were being placed on her own skin. She was no longer anything resembling human; she was a monster—the same one children had a right to fear. In that moment, she was the Infernal Queen once more.

Licking her lips, she shifted from side to side, excitement and adrenaline thrumming through her heart. The ground was no longer beneath her feet, but within them, like she was an extension of the Earth. Trees grew out of her ribcage, twigs snapped in her knuckles, and leaves swayed in her ears. Everything was instinctual, and she wore this primal feeling like a beautiful dress, flaunting it for everyone to see. She was enjoying this.

She could see it now: racing forward, ripping her way into the house, clawing through skin and bone where the human heartbeats echoed enticingly. She could almost taste the sweet blood on her tongue like acid.

But, she forced herself to remain still, to wait, to be nothing more than a shadow. She could see where he stood—she'd be able to see the signal the second he gave it.

It was painful having to listen to Nik's American accent, even worse than having to wait when she knew damn well she could walk into that house without any invitation needed. The bracelet on her wrist was burning with the reminder of her freedom. But, then again, this wasn't her plan, it was his, and Nik hated it when people didn't listen to him. Considering their new road-trip buddy, Charlotte knew to play by the rules.

So, she waited, her eyes trained onto Nik like they were attached to his body. She held her breath, waiting and waiting and waiting. It was practically torture.

She saw it when Nik grabbed the poor girl's face, compelling her to invite him inside. She smirked, slinking closer to the house. Her eyes flickered toward her right, seeing another shadow doing the same as hers—Stefan. He was waiting on the signal too, and it was coming quicker than anticipated.

Thudding footsteps raced to the back door, and Charlotte found amusement in the scream when the door was opened to reveal nothing more than her brother. Flashing toward the house, Charlotte leaned against the siding, staring at Stefan's face without the woman inside being able to see her.

Stefan had fallen far on their roadtrip. Murdering and slaughtering wasn't exactly his forte anymore, despite trying desperately to prove to Nik and her that it was. Charlotte could see through him though—she could see it even now. She saw the self-hatred, the fear, the doubt. She could see the desperation to leave, yet she knew he had no way out. It was pitiful, really.

As a result, Charlotte did her best to take the dirty work off his hands. She prided herself on being ruthless, on becoming the monster that Nik always asked her to be. She knew what the hybrid wanted, and it was easy for her to fulfill his requests—sometimes, she adored it. Stefan didn't. So, she hoped that he wouldn't mind sharing the two helpless girls inside without much of a fuss.

"I love it when they run," Nik called to Stefan, and Charlotte fought the urge to smile, ducking her head low to hide her expression behind her hair. But Stefan saw it, and she could see a flash of something akin to disappointment in his face. She tried not to focus too much on it.