08

"i wonder how the sky makes peace with every storm, and then clears itself as if nothing happened."

08 | FAMILY

June, 1865

They stumbled back to New Orleans high on blood.

Charlotte was pleasantly surprised by Kol's manners. He had stolen one of the soft dresses off of a drained body for her to change into after her dip in the lake. It was a nice, light pink dress that felt like silk between her fingers, and after she had changed, they decided to return to New Orleans together.

She didn't know how to feel about Kol's proposition, considering that she was still wary about his seemingly romantic gestures toward her. However, she decided that either way, a relationship—even a friendship—with an Original vampire would benefit her in ways that she should be grateful for. They were powerful, and ever since she became a vampire, Charlotte had found that power would protect her against anything else.

And the fact that Kol was as mischievous as her wasn't a bad idea either. She needed a partner in crime, and he offered to be exactly that.

They had burned the bodies before returning to New Orleans. Kol told her that his brother wouldn't be happy with the mess they made, so she didn't argue, not wanting to leave a trail either—especially after her extensive time as the Infernal Queen when she first turned. She had investigators and police tracking her for too long than she found necessary, and she didn't want a repeat of such a situation. It was better to lay low. 

So, after cleaning up, Kol and Charlotte ran back to town, the girl deciding to play a game of chase while they did so. She laughed loudly in the whipping wind, her head thrown back as she heard him catching up to her. While she was fast for her age, he had many centuries on her, and it didn't take long for him to grab onto her.

His arms wrapped around her waist, and she squealed in surprise, her feet being lifted off the floor as he twirled her in a circle. The action was sweet, and although she knew he could kill her in an instant, his grip was not constricting in any way. She found herself enjoying his company even more than she did at the gala.

He turned her around, raising one of his eyebrows. "Caught you," he whispered, and she chuckled lowly, tilting her head to the side.

"I suppose you did," she said simply, and he smirked at her before raising his head and gazing at their surroundings. The night was slowly turning to morning, and they noticed a few people emerging into the sunlight from the comfort of their homes, starting their mundane days as they always did.

He looked back down at her, releasing his grip on her waist only to move his hand into her palm, keeping them connected. "Come with me," he said quickly, and she became interested by his next words. "I have a bet I need to settle."

He ran at vampire speed down the street, so it wasn't long before they stopped in front of a large home that was obviously aristocratic with its architecture. She raised an eyebrow in appreciation at the sight of the building, but she wasn't able to study it for much longer before Kol began pulling her into the main entryway. The hallway was long, but it opened up into a courtyard of sorts, allowing the sun's early rays to hit the cobblestone ground delicately. There were about three floors from what she could see, and the iron-cast railings complimented the brick walls and pillars. In all honesty, it might've been one of the nicest homes that Charlotte had the pleasure of seeing.

Kol walked in front of her, and as soon as they stepped into the light, a voice spoke up.

"Where the bloody hell have you been?" A female voice commanded Kol, and Charlotte turned toward the sound to see a beautiful blonde woman walking in their direction. "Nik's almost ran himself up a wall wondering where you were."