Chapter 25

Yara's POV:

It was almost nightfall as I hid among the trees a few feet away from the ship. I finally came up with a plan to save Zuko. Also, have father convince he was dead...

Though I braced myself, the thought of father planning to kill Zuko made the blood drain from my body.

Father always had a hatred feeling towards Zuko. I didn't know why but they never got along well.

He actually allowed our friendship after Lu Ten, uncle Iroh's son died in the Seige of Ba Sing Se.

It was only because Zuko became the Crown Prince of the Fire Nation after Lu Ten. Father thought befriending royalty comes with perks. It felt disgusting...

But our friendship was never like that. Zuko and I clicked almost instantly and it wasn't because he was royalty. I used to... well, still risk anything when it comes to him.

I'd never give up on Zuko, even if father wanted me to. I had a scar to prove that. And being here, right now, would prove it all.

I would never let father get to Zuko...

I still couldn't believe the lengths father went for this. He always put his career before everything, even before me and mother.

The hunger for power made his ways aggressive and ruthless. But this... he went too far. This assassination plan made clear that he values the rise of his career more than... anything.

For the first time in my life, I felt ashamed to call him my father...

Just then, I noticed the entire crew leave the ship and shout something to uncle, who stood alone on the deck.

The crew would never leave the ship as a whole. What was happening? Where were they going?

But it was for good, I thought. I hoped the crew wouldn't return until the pirates get their job done. We couldn't bear any life loss.

Now, I just had to get uncle and Zuko out, discreetly. The ship was anchored a few feet from the shore.

I knew the pirates planned to use a rowboat to transport the blasting jelly. So I thought of using the side entrance of the ship to get in stealthily.

I was unsure on how Zuko would react. What if he thinks I was lying? What if he refuses to come?

A part of me desperately hoped he'd believe me. If he doesn't, then I had no other way but to knock him out and drag him back here safely.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I saw Uncle's silhouette leave the ship. My eyes followed him and I guessed he was going for a walk. Then I just had to go and get Zuko out.

I ignored the rapid beating of my heart from all the anxiety as I put on my hood and mask. I had to do this... I can do this! I was ready for what was to come. That was one good thing my father did...

He didn't raise a girl... He raised a warrior...

Once I reached the side entrance, I made sure no one was around and entered the ship. The ship seemed so quiet without the crew. It was almost surreal. Well, in a few moments, this ship would cease to exist...

I walked as fast as I could and also made sure I didn't make a sound. Soon enough, I reached the back door that led to the chambers and opened it carefully, making no sound. I couldn't afford to let the pirates know about this rescue mission.

Once I entered through the back door, I took off running to Zuko's chamber. "Zuko!" I barged in, removing my mask, only to find his chamber empty.