Chapter 9

Yara's POV:

I stood over the balcony attached to the Captain's room, taking in the scenery and fresh air. Zuko was training on the deck, as usual. Ever since he came to know about my scar, he started to act a bit different than he usually would. In simple words, he was being over-protective...

He'd check on me quite often, made sure I was fine though I'd mostly be with him on the ship. He would insist on joining whenever I wanted to train and he also came up with some lame reasons to sleep with me.

I didn't say anything because it felt like he knew what I needed. With Zuko by my side, I've been sleeping quite well lately.  I felt safe and protected around him and it really helped.

I also seemed to notice a slight change in his behavior recently. Uncle told me that he seemed actually relaxed after I joined them. Zuko wouldn't show it right away but we sensed it. Uncle was genuinely happy about it and seeing uncle like this was totally worth it.

I smiled to myself and closed my eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun and the calm breeze on my face.

"Yara..." I heard uncle call me from the Captain's room. "Yes, uncle!" I entered the room with a smile.

He was playing Pai Sho with some of the crew members but he seemed a bit troubled. "We need to change course, immediately!" He said.

I felt my blood rush through my veins. It must've been about the Avatar!

"Where is he?!"

"Who?"

"The Avatar!"

"How would I know that?!"

"Uncle, then why do you want to change the course?"

"Because... I lost my Lotus tile for the Pai Sho." He said, quite dramatically.

"Uncle, you can't be serious right now?!" I rolled my eyes at him.

"I truly am. The Lotus tile has an integral role in the game of Pai Sho. I need the tile, Yara. Wouldn't you help this old man?" He pretended to plead. I was not going to fall that, definitely not this time!

"Ha! I'm so not going to fall for your 'Old Man' card again!" I smirked as I rested my hands on my hip.

"Oh Yara! You can't possibly say no to your uncle, can you?" He asked with his 'infamous' innocent look. He definitely had a way or other to convince me!

"Ugh... Alright you got me!" I sighed in defeat.

"I knew it!" He smiled triumphantly.

"But... it is the Prince who should be convinced with that innocent look of yours!" I smirked, crossing my arms against my chest.

"Why should I convince him when I have the Second-in-command by my side" He smiled widely, lifting his eyebrows. "You really enjoy getting me into trouble, don't you?" I groaned. "Helmsman, set course for the nearest town."

"But, my Lady, the Prince..." He drawled. I gave uncle a pointed look before facing him. "I'll take care of that"

Zuko stormed into the room soon after the course was changed. "What's the meaning of this mutiny? No one told you to change course!" He shouted at the Helmsman.

"Actually, someone did. I assure you it is a matter of utter importance, Prince Zuko." Uncle interrupted.

"Who ordered to change the course?!" Zuko bellowed at us.

"Actually, it was your Second-in-command." I gaped at uncle in disbelief as he ratted me out.

"Is it something to do with the Avatar?" Zuko's attention turned to me. I glared at uncle before turning to Zuko.