Prologue

The hideout is an abandoned building of vandalism and darkness. The walls and ground are made of concrete, as this was most likely a former parking area. The smell of puddles and rainwater wafts through the air as I walk closer into the center of the building, as Machi and Nobunaga flank me.

    In this building are three other Spiders, a malicious aura surrounds them as they await Machi and Nobunaga. Their stares drag along us, and an unsettling feeling creeps onto me. I keep my eyes trained on the figure who commands attention, a dark silhouette illuminated by faint, flickering streetlights.

In the center of the room sits another man, a book held in between his nimble fingers. His midnight hair is slicked back, and on his ears are turquoise orbs. He wears a fur-collared leather coat that trails down low, and is unbuttoned, revealing his muscular body. His black pants have bandages wrapped around the bottom half of his legs, and on his shoes are golden crosses. On his forehead is a tattooed cross, a pleasant smile rests on his attractive face.

Around me, Machi and Nobunaga stop walking. I pause alongside them, and stand before this man, whose eyes lift from the pages in his hand. He places the book down gently beside him, and looks at us from a pile of rubble. I feel his gaze rest on me, his grey eyes search for something of interest.

Nobunaga clears his throat, "Chrollo, this is (y/n)," he says blandly as he jabs his thumb towards me. "I was thinking that we could recruit her? She can be useful."

Chrollo doesn't reply, his eyes stay on me. Beside him, Shizuku and Franklin don't speak, they keep their distance and watch the exchange carefully. I expect that the Spiders have a system to avoid internal conflict within the Phantom Troupe, an unlikely scenario, however a possibility nonetheless.

    I keep myself poised, nonchalant before the leader of the Spiders. Chrollo Lucilfer sits before me, tendrils of his aura flicker about the room. Though the room is silent, a melody of souls scream in terror before him. I clench my jaw, and wonder if I will join.

    My eyes are glowered as I continue to meet his eyes. He tilts his head in return and leans forward from his position, and his fingers lace together.

    "What does she do?" His melodic voice asks lightly. I raise a brow, noticing that he didn't acknowledge me, rather the Spiders that attend to him. After all, he is the Head of the Spiders.

    "She's a Hunter. She managed to escape us a couple of times-" Nobunaga begins to list reasons, his fingers flick up for each sentence he adds. "She held a good fight against Machi without her Nen. Her Nen isn't bad. And she's interesting." He cocks his head to the side and shrugs when he finishes.

    Machi rolls her eyes and mutters, "Playthings aren't partners, Nobunaga." She sighs, and a wisp of her pink hair flies up from the breath. Machi crosses her arms and awaits Chrollo's response, who pauses in consideration.

    Finally he acknowledges me, as the creeping chill of his eyes reach mine. He smiles softly and asks,

    "Would you like to join the Spiders?" With that question, Shizuku and Franklin's necks snap up, their attention directly and wholly on myself and Chrollo. I feel their gazes creep along my spine, though I am unable to draw my eyes away.

    I can't help but smile in return, as I reply, "Yes." Chrollo leans back, and adds,

    "Show me your Nen." It was a predictable command, a test of some sort was expected.

    I envision my aura around me, and it begins to glow brightly, growing and warping around the room, before I begin to diminish it, allowing it to softly glow around me. Chrollo's eyes are unreadable, as are most of the Spiders, and he seems to be in consideration.

The longer I spend in this area, the longer I'm aware of the time that has been spent. It waits for no one, and our interaction needs to create results. I realize that nothing but a test is able to demonstrate my abilities to the Spiders.

    "Attack me," I say, my voice boldly makes its way to Chrollo, who seems interested. Nobunaga glances at me from the corner of his eye, however he doesn't protest or warn me against any possible dangers. It's likely that he is unable to speak against this as a policy of the Spiders, either holding Chrollo back from a fight, or showing favor in me for the sake of my safety.

    I was worn down from the earlier attack with Machi, and the sun had already set, the blue sky darkens in shades of black. Whispers of clouds have formed in the sky, and the glimmer of stars are faint.

    Chrollo rises from his seat, and his hands are open beside him. The pale moonlight from outside the building casts a faint glow on his face, as a brief whisk of wind sweeps into the room. His coat sways with the incoming breeze, and he straightens his back, as he picks up his leather bound book.

He opens the book, and lifts a hand, aura seeping from every movement he makes. I swallow, accessing the dangers that may come with any possible movement that he creates. I am unaware of his Nen type and abilities, however this was my only chance to become a Spider.

Nobunaga and Machi leave my side, and walk over as they slug down a wall, their eyes still trained on the both of us. Chrollo waves a hand, and a long piece of fabric appears from the book.

"Shall we get started, (y/n)?"

     However the Spider of the Phantom Troupe was unaware of the Snake's fangs around his neck.

Author's note: Hi! Thanks for clicking onto my story, I hope you liked it so far :) I'm open for feedback or requests either for this story or a new one, so please comment down below. (And for reference, this is a peek into later on in the story, Chrollo will appear a few chapters after, just to give background information on the situation that serves as the main conflict.)
~Amorevolous