II. The Spiders

I meet their gazes, and smile briefly, "I didn't expect you to catch me," my voice sounds sharp, though not as sharp as the Ben's blades I keep hidden under my teal-grey jacket suit.

Machi looks at me dead in the eye, and I don't look away. To her left is Nobunaga, who asks,

"Who are you?" His voice is eerily quiet, and doesn't echo despite the alley we stand in. I shift my eyes over to his, and I don't hesitate to speak honestly. After all, if a single lie slipped from my tongue, I may find myself in need of a head. I also don't know whether they can detect dishonesty, and for that reason it would be worse to be caught lying.

"I'm (y/n)," I answer. Cautious, I don't tell them more than what they ask for. It was a lame tactic to buy time, so should your opponent have you cornered, they would have to ask more questions, allowing you time to think.

"Why were you following us?" Nobunaga asks calmly, his expression doesn't change.

I lift a brow, as I respond, "To hunt you down."

Machi, who is unfazed notes, "So you're a Hunter." She tilts her head and adds, "If you hadn't taken off your In, we wouldn't have found you."

I frown in response, while discreetly summoning my aura, visualizing it flowing around my body freely as I activate my Ken. My body is now protected enough for me to withstand damage, should I have to resort to physical attacks.

"I thought you used Gyo to find me," I reply. I huff a small laugh I add, "Though I guess that gives you too much credit."

Machi rolls her eyes, and Nobunaga asks, "Why did you take off your In?" He frowns, the expression still not changing much about his face. "Unless.." His eyes widen as he sharply exclaims, "It's a trap!"

It is not a trap. I hadn't anticipated that I would be caught, nor had I been in contact with Kurapika since we had last met. Due to the impact of my hit, I estimated that it would be another half hour or so until he regains consciousness, making it another hour until I have backup.

     Taking this mistake as an opportunity, I realize that I had two courses of action to choose from. Either I take this as a chance to attack and dispatch two Spiders now, or I run. The first would grant the Zodiacs less grunt work, and would allow this mission to be fulfilled with ease. However, I could be risking citizen casualties should the battle become dangerous to those around me.

I quickly shut off my Ken and use my aura to envelop my legs with Ren. I jump as high as I could, flying straight up at a rapid pace, and landing smoothly onto the roof of a nearby building.

I scan my surroundings, to find that there were flat roofs around me. The Hunter Association building gleams in the distance, it's glass panes sparkle under the glare of the sun. We are close to the center of Swardani City, therefore it was the better choice to run, and if they follow me, I could take care of them without the risk of endangering others.

    Beside me, I hear the thumps of two people landing. Machi and Nobunaga stand there, their eyes blazing in anger and irritation.

    Not sparing another second, I turn sprint away from them, leading the Spiders away-

The phone was pressed into her ear, as she yelled, "We have to lead them away! There are too many people here! We have innocents here, if any of them die-" She stops yelling abruptly, and turns around to face her daughter, tears streaming down her cheeks.

    "We can't let innocents die."
***
    My heart races, though not as fast as my feet. As we run, I leap from building to building, taking harder blows as the roof get shorter. I breathe slowly, trying to keep a calm mindset as the Spiders' shadows seem to grow closer. The sun is no longer directly above me, rather a bit in front of me, and the sunlight is blinding.