XV. The Plan

The burly men rather forcefully click the metal cuffs around my wrists and ankles to the metal table. I sigh, as they place the thickest link yet around my neck. They are Hunters, of course, bare chested showing mounds of muscle and an unnecessary amount of skin. One of them is dressed in a frayed denim jacket, the front opening to show a large, dragon tattoo on his chest. The other is bald, and wears metal plates along his arms, leaving his chest and back completely bare.

After my assistance in the Troupe's escape, I've been chained up and locked for observance by the Zodiacs. Irritating, fluorescent lights are flashed into my eyes, and my body is searched for checks of any tracking devices or poisons that may have been placed by the enemy.

This is standard procedure that I'm used to enduring, one that must occur as I return from any spy mission, just in case. However, I can't help but find it as though they are unsure of my capability to properly spy.

The closed off room I'm in is filled with silver metal, from the walls, the ceilings, the floor, and the cameras that watch me from every angle possible. When the one, and only, door of entry is pushed open, I see Mizaistom approach me.

    He gives a pitiful smile when he sees me in my current state, however, the smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. At his brief nod, the other men scuffle out the door.

    Due to his immense height, he tilts his head down to meet my eyes, as he asks,

    "How are you, (y/n)?" A casual greeting, extremely contrasting to the tension that has been between myself and the rest of the Zodiacs after my return. His arms are stiffly held behind his back, and his smile is plastered onto his face.

    Despite that, I reply, "I'm as good as anyone can be when they're chained down to a table. How are you?"

    It seems as though he wasn't quite expecting me to ask him, so his eyebrows flicker slightly in shock when he replies,

    "I'm doing very well, thank you." There is a strange, uncomfortable silence that makes up the air as his eyes drift around the room. As I'm attached to the table, there isn't much that I can do other than lay there.

    Mizaistom coughs softly into his fist, and draws my attention to him once more. "There will be a Zodiac meeting later, though if you'd like, you have every right to not attend."

    I give a lopsided smile, and say, "It's alright, I'll be able to put up with you guys."

    Nodding briefly, he assures, "Then I will have the send accommodations soon." Straightening his back, he shrugs his shoulders, and walks out the room. The odor of his rather heavy cologne whisks out along with him.

    Our interaction was rather short, and silent to say the least. My eyes begin to unfocus, and my vision begins to blur. It was strange, really, the bitterness that I felt leaving the Phantom Troupe. My feelings are inexplicable, and the unfamiliarity of it bothers me.

    The sound of wheels rolling towards me awakens me from my thoughts. My door opens, and the two same men as before have brought a tablet attached onto a tripod. Walking onto either side of the table that I lay on, they click a few bolts against the sides, and half of it folds up, allowing me to sit upright.

    The cool metal continues to bite into my skin, however I bear it as I say to them, "Thank you."

    Without replying, the two exit, and the screen of the tablet flickers on.

    Peering through the screen, and face at an unintelligible angle, is Cluck, the chicken Zodiac. The large, white and blue feathers that fan around her head make up most of the screen, with her narrow, blue eyes peeking at the bottom.