I. The Hunt

The sweet smell of Swardani air fills my nostrils, and I sigh in bliss. My heels tap lightly against the marble floors, as I leave the Hunter Association building. Beside me, Kurapika tilts his head to the right, as he says,

    "We should go, (y/n)." He merely glances at me as I tip my head back and sigh again. I cross my arms behind my head and take in the view of the city, it's towering buildings and cars speeding on concrete. But the thought of returning again, makes me grimace, as I mutter,

    "That meeting was so long." I blink, forcing my eyes to stay open and Kurapika shakes his head in disapproval, and walks away briskly, forcing me to jog as I catch up. My eyes stay weakly open, and tears sting at the corners of my vision as I yawn, an effect of the length of Zodiac meetings.

    I approach him quickly, and his blond hair and blue robes flow with the wind. We walk together in a comfortable silence, our eyes scanning the city. I realize a few minutes later that we are headed to a rural part of the city, where the noises are less loud and the buildings lose their height.

    Smiling, I glance at Kurapika in the corner of my eye, who looks at me blankly in response. He gestures to the hills of green grass and I sigh, "Finally." Crossing my arms behind my head, we walk together as the scenery grows in plants and trees.

    "So, Kurapika, what's for lunch?" I ask, smiling, to which Kurapika replies with,

     "I don't mind what we eat, so you choose, (y/n)." He adds, "But if you don't choose in five minutes, I'm picking."

    I gasp dramatically, and roll my eyes, pretending to care. I had lost my appetite after the Zodiac meeting, in which we discussed rather morbid topics of humans who were eaten by a new species called Chimera Ants.

    I open my mouth to reply, when Kurapika sharply inhales, and lowers his head. Concerned, I lower my head slowly, mimicking his actions, as well as to not draw attention with quick movements.

    "Spiders," Kurapika breathes quietly. My mind races with a thousand thoughts, at the mention of the sadistic group of thieves and murderers. However, only one thought dominates all others.

    Why are they here?

    There was nothing for them in Swardani City, nothing at least of interest to them. In previous cases, they have been attracted to treasures of many kinds, though their movements were very disorganized, and no clear pattern showed a mission or intention of any kind.

    I lift my hand to my head, appearing to scratch it to others, as I ask Kurapika, "Where?"

    His grey eyes meet mine, grim, though a ring of burning scarlet begins to glow. "Two people behind the tan building, to your left, they're walking away from us. One is dressed in a purple shirt, and the other is in a green one."

    I quickly glance to my left, and true to Kurapika's words, there were two figures walking away from us. After realizing that we may never know why they are here, he whispers, "I'm going after them. Don't follow me, get the others, I'll be in touch."

    He begins to stand up, and I tug angrily on his sleeve, and his eyes flash with anger. "You'll be caught," I warn. "You won't make it, and you'll just endanger the rest of the Zodiacs. We'll go back and tell the others, and handle it properly."

    "Then we'll lose them." Kurapika hisses. "I'll go after them, and be in contact. (y/n), you need to find the Zodiacs and get help, otherwise it will be too late-"

    The world was so very red, crimson blood painting the streets she called home. Her mother's eyes gleamed with concern, as she held her shoulders one last time. The girl's eyes were filled with tears, her pupils made of spiders- no- an incredibly overwhelming darkness that crawled its way to her heart.