XX. The Intermission

Inside these walls, I sit again, surrounded by the members of the Phantom Troupe. There are familiar faces, and some that I'd hardly seen in the few days I spent with them. Though it wasn't a long time that I'd been there, there was a strange nostalgia that I'd felt when I returned.

Now, we sit awaiting the next course of action. Not many are wounded, nor scathed from their confrontation at the Hunter Association Headquarters. Their eyes are settled on Chrollo, who continues to read from his book, not yet deciding to speak on his plans.

The hospital gown that I stained and damaged in my battle against Saiyu and Mizaistom continues to cling to my legs, and the once white color is now a mild grey. The bottom of it is stained darker, due to my uneven landing onto the concrete.

Chrollo had teleported each member of the Troupe, as well as myself, into this parking lot using an ability that most likely came from his book. Though I am still not completely aware of it's abilities, I've decided that it is a Specialist Hatsu that collects other's Nen abilities into his book.

His Ben's blade is still in the palm of my hand, and my fingers continue to grip it's leather handle. I have not yet encountered Chrollo individually in order to return the dagger, so I've kept it since my usage of it against Saiyu.

The moon has completely risen, and noticing this, I feel as though the Troupe is most active underneath the cool moonlight and cloaked in the darkness. Chrollo begins to rise from his position, and says,

"The Yorknew auction begins in two days." With that being said, he ceases to speak, and other Spiders begin to chime in, adding their ideas and claims with that information in mind.

"Are we just going to leave Swardani because we couldn't get in?" Phinks asks incredulously, his face is in a scowl, and shows disappointment as well as irritation.

"Or are we going to get both those goods and the money here?" Kalluto muses. He is a rather young member, who rarely speaks. His tone is soft, and matches his appearance in his black kimono with purple highlights. A short, black bob of hair circles his face, and angular magenta eyes.

"Franklin, Nobunaga, Phinks, Feitan, Machi, (y/n)," Chrollo calls, and with each name spoken, their attention is immediately diverted to him. "You are going to Yorknew. The rest will stay here and focus on Swardani."

Shalnark gasps, smiling in triumph as he says, "I get it! We're sending them as a distraction, and then we'll kill two birds with one stone." He snaps his fingers at the end of the sentence, and some of the others nod along.

Vague memories of the latest Zodiac meeting flood my mind. Kurapika had mentioned the start of the Yorknew City auction this year, with rarer and more expensive items that will be sold. In that prediction, he believed that the Troupe would show up there, and leave Swardani. He was only half right in his interpretation, as yes, the Troupe would be going to Yorknew, but they would also arrive at Swardani.

In the sending of half the Troupe to Yorknew, the Zodiacs will be alerted, as the Troupe are a class A threat to Hunters and societies in general. After the escape, the Zodiacs would search for the Troupe, only to realize that the riches of their vaults were stolen only a day after. This is because with the threat that the Spiders pose, the vaults would be replenished, because there was only so much they could focus on.

Bonolenov raises a bandaged hand, and asks, "Why them?"

"We're are faster, and we're members that are more suited to combat. We'll get the job done quickly, come back, and regroup to all get into the Hunter Headquarters and get out," Nobunaga replies, his eyes bored.

With those words being said, the Spiders begin to scuffle around, and stand up as they exit the building. Their feet are light against the ground, as though they are constantly creeping behind their prey.

After they've all left but Chrollo, I approach him. He continues to sit in the middle of the room, with his book in hand, and his eyes completely absorbed. Though he does not look at me, I hold out the dagger, and that is when he acknowledges my presence.

Looking up from his book, he accepts the Ben's blade, and I say, "Thanks for letting me borrow it."

With a mild smile, he replies, "You're welcome, (y/n)." And with that, I turn on my right heel and exit the building, with the sound of wind flowing under the shining moonlight.

                               ***
Feitan holds a blade to the man's neck, who whimpers in fear. It is merely daybreak, and the sun has not yet risen completely, as though it wishes to hide behind the waves of the ocean.

The sound of waves spilling over rotting wood and the smell of bitter salt wafts through the warm air. I wrinkle my nose and wave a hand inside the cramped building that myself, and the other Spiders stand in. The walls are painted in a thin layer of peeling blue, and coated with a layer of dust and cobwebs. It is a room that is barely seven feet wide, and Franklin stands halfway outside the doorframe to peer into the room.

Franklin, Feitan, Phinks, Machi, and Nobunaga all wear their usual clothes, unlike the outfits they'd donned to the arrival at the Headquarters. We'd arrived at a boat rental company, to meet a wrinkled, old man in grey overalls that had greeted us naively.

Not wishing to spend his money on a boat that he would share, Feitan had instead begun to threaten the man, who now hurriedly hands him a pair of gold keys to his nicest and largest boat on the dock.

Feitan pats the old man on the head, despite the difference in their height, and waves a hand to have the rest of us follow him towards a large, sleek, white boat. We walk along the harbor, and the floorboards created by old wood creak under our feet.

    Stepping up a few stairs onto the boat, I begin to explore the interior. The inside is lined in fine, white leather, and has a built in restroom, as well as lounging and dining areas. On the outside, there is an exposed area under the sunlight, and a shaded portion that is positioned over the wheel.

Phinks snatches the keys from Feitan's palm, and revs the engine, and the boat sets off. Beside me, Machi grips the hand railing, and she sighs in exasperation. I can't help but stifle the smile, as I look beyond the horizon of the rising sun. Beneath my feet, I feel the vibration and hum of the engine and feel the sprinkle of seawater on my skin.

And with that, the intermission ends, and the second act has begun.

Author's note: Hello! This is the beginning of my favorite part of the story, so I really hope you like it once it comes out :)) Please remember to vote if you liked the chapter!
~Amorevolous