VIII. The Troupe

As I wrap bandages around my wrists, I clench my jaw and speed up in annoyance. It has been two hours since I became a Spider, and the sun has visibly risen, as vibrant colors of orange and yellow paint the sky. Clouds wisp around before the pure blue, and I wistfully look at them, remembering my day as it had been yesterday.

    Around me had been the Zodiacs, though they weren't the most conformed group, they were still brilliant associates all the same. Now, I sit in the company of the Spiders, and not as the Spider, but as a background criminal that was chosen out of undignified methods.

    The others' eyes crept on me, but I paid them no regard. I was here undercover, and my sole purpose was to gain intel, not friendships. After my previous battle with Chrollo, I had abruptly left to get medications and a meal, paid with the spare money I kept in my coat, and what I hoped to be a convincing sympathetic story.

    Leaning against the gravel-like concrete, I tip my head back and close my eyes, hoping to clear my head. The sound of soft footsteps tap towards me, and I open my eyes lazily, focusing on the figure before me.

    Machi's arms are crossed, and her eyes narrow. She looks down on me, and leans to her side, as she asks,

    "How did you do that?" She doesn't scorn, but rather speaks as though I were an acquaintance.

    I lift a brow, and reply, "Do what?"

    She nods to Chrollo, who is engrossed in his book in the center of the room. The other Spiders sit around him, dozing in their own areas and not speaking a single word.

    "How did you get the book from his hand?" Machi repeats. She stands still as she waits for my response.

    I vaguely consider lying, however it is most likely that she would be able to tell if I was fibbing, and so I smile mischievously and hold up my right hand. On this hand, silver rings adorn each finger, and I flick one up, to show a secret compartment.

    Machi leans forward and looks into my rings, and notes, "Gunpowder." Her voice has a hint of approval. The smell of the grey substance fills my nostrils and quickly expands around me.

    "It's to enhance your ability, right?" She asks, nonchalant.

    Nodding, I reply, "Yes." Though my ability is strong, I keep gunpowder with me in order to further improve my deadly attacks. There once came a time in which I battled a man with a hardened skin ability- an Enhancer, like me. It was gruesome, as we repeatedly attack to no prevail, and I had depended on a tube of gunpowder that lay beside me in the ruins of our battle in order to make a killing blow.

    Since then, I kept my rings on me, and filled them with gunpowder, should a battle be too difficult to win. I've strived to be in preparation of the worst-

Her mother spoke on the phone, but her tone was different from before. She had been shaking, crying, her voice wobbling from the strain of her tears, but now she spoke clearly. There was a darkness in her eyes, a flame of black that was unable to be extinguished.

Speaking into the phone, she said, "We must be prepared."

Her voice was filled with powerful conviction, and was made clear until the hour of her death.

My head rung, and my vision was blurred as I held a hand to my head. Tears stung at the corner of my eyes, and strange images began to appear. I shook my head slowly, as if to clear it away, but they continued to stay.

Machi sits down beside me, and didn't speak as she leaned her head back to the wall as I once did. She breathes in slowly, and exhales, as I look at her from the corner of my eyes. She pays no attention to me, and with her eyes closed, says,

"It was a good fight, (y/n)." Her eyes are still closed, so she can't see a small grin appear on my face. I chuckle quietly, unaware of how to respond to a mass murderer who complimented me, as I dully reply,

"Thanks." We don't speak for the continuation of the morning, as we await the arrival of the rest of the Spiders.

                               ***
A pair of polished, black shoes clicks against the pavement, as it clears my blurred vision. I stifle a yawn, and look up lazily, to identify the figures. There are two men, a rather short one, with jet black hair, and a taller one, with blond hair.

Feitan Portor wears a robe of black, similar to that of his hair. It reaches his ankles, and meet his black boots. A bandana of purple designs, and a skull cover his mouth, and is draped around his neck, to reach the end of his chest. He doesn't speak as he walks in, unlike the man beside him.

A tall, rowdy man, walks in. Phinks Magcub, is a man with a chiseled jaw and dark eyes. He is much taller than Feitan, and similarly, wears a robe of white. Showing through is ankles, is a pair of grey pants, that are matched with brown shoes. His robe cuts out around his chest, and shows a shirt of light green, harboring a purple jewel on the center.

While the two stride in, Chrollo smiles, as he greets them. Phinks scans the room, and when his eyes land on me, he doesn't acknowledge me, rather, he asks,

"So Shalnark, Kortopi, Kalluto, and Bonolenov aren't here yet?" He yawns, and stretches his arms, drawing attention to himself. He breathes deeply, and then points to me, his smile sharp.

The others follow his finger, and their eyes land upon me, though they don't say anything. A soft laugh comes from the center of the room, and I see Chrollo smile at Phinks, as he says,

"Ah, that's (y/n), Phinks. She's the new ninth Spider."

Feitan's eyes narrow, and he approaches me swiftly, then crouches before me. His eyes are angular and black, and though we are only inches apart, he doesn't speak.

And it is then that I fully realize the situation I am in. I am the Snake, the spy of the Zodiacs, and I have found myself in the lair of the Spiders.

Author's note: Hello again! I'm excited to say that we reached over 100 reads! Thank you so much for your support, I hope you enjoyed today's chapter. I believe that I may be able to go back on schedule at posting 2-3 times a week, however if that doesn't happen, I always post at least one chapter a week :)) Please remember to vote if you liked the story! See you again soon!
~Amorevolous