XXVI. The Dead

From behind the Zodiacs, a few Hunters spring up. They launch themselves from the rubble, armed with swords and spears alike. Hovering nearly as high as the roof, their legs push at the roof, and they plunge towards us.

    A Hunter with pale orange hair and green eyes focuses her sword towards me. Her elbow is bent as she prepares to slash at my neck. I stand still, awaiting her, and as she comes towards me, I pull back my right arm. My fist collides with her skull, and her eyes widen before her corpse lands beside me.

    Beside me, the other Spiders spar with other Hunters, as well as the Zodiacs. In the corner of my eye, I see Machi attacking Leorio, who's face is dark in frustration and hatred, contrasting her's which is calm and cool.

    Chrollo stands in the center of the room, and he attacks Cheadle, who agilely dodges his Ben's blades. From behind me, I hear a war cry, and the heavy footsteps of another Hunter. My eyes laze on the ground before me, and without looking up, I pull my elbow back.

    I hear his nose crack, and his eyes widen, as his left hand covers it. Turning to face him, I see a man with long, blue hair and tan skin. Blood from his nose drips onto the floor, though he continues to clutch his pole arm tightly. His knuckles are white, yet not as white as his face that pales even further as I approach him.

    His metal spear slips from his fingers, and clatters on the ground, as he drops to his knees, and presses his hands onto the floor. Crying, he pleads,

    "Please! Please spare me!" I see his right hand clutch further into the ground, and my eyes narrow, before I swiftly jump into the air. From that hand, he flung jagged spikes that land at rocks where I once was. They pierce through the rough material, and shatter the object completely.

    My right eyebrow quirks up, and I land on the ground. I relieve the urge to smile, as I remember when I'd once done that. The man picks his weapon from the floor and begrudgingly mutters,    
    "I can't believe you dodged that. But you were a Zodiac, so.." Sighing, he points the tip of his weapon towards me, and attacks without warning.

    Twisting my shoulders, I dodge the line of attack, as I see his body continuing forward from the momentum of the action. With a flick of my Ben's blade, I cut off his right arm, and he screams in agony. The pole arm clatters to the floor, and as he opens his mouth to speak, I throw the dagger into his chest.

    His eyes continue to stare at me in fear, before they glaze over.

    Pulling the blade from his flesh, I wipe it on his clothing, before glancing over my shoulder. Scanning the room, I notice that a few Spiders are not present, such as Feitan and Kortopi. The only possibility was that they'd slipped from the room to find the vaults.

    After all, there was no hope in this battle for the Phantom Troupe.

    Though the Hunters were not difficult to contain, the Zodiacs are known for their great physical and mental capabilities. Each member was granted a seat in this organization of the greatest Hunters in the world. Each person is more than capable of disarming a Spider.

    I feel a dim admiration for the Troupe, as they are most likely aware that they are no match for the Zodiacs, yet they continue to go to great lengths for their goal. It is an understandable trait that they have.

    Looking back at the Troupe, I see that those who are fighting the Zodiacs are mildly injured. I grit my teeth, and jog towards Machi, who is still sparing with Leorio Paradinight, the boar Zodiac. She seems to be the only Spider who was not yet injured by their Zodiac counterpart, however Leorio is a rather new member, whose physical capabilities are not as high as the others. However, amongst the other Zodiacs who are here, his attacks are the most powerful.

    Upon seeing me, Leorio's face darkens even further. He bites his bottom lip and his eyes narrow as he continues to fight. His actions begin to increase in speed, but they are less accurate, as though he is fueled by a blinding anger.

    Due to this, Machi is able to see an opening, and jumps up towards him, before jabbing behind his neck. His eyes flash, and he falls to the ground. Within a second, she is able to tie him up with her threads that bite into his skin. Blood begins to soak into his blue coat, and he thrashes around in his restraint.

    Machi nods to me, before heading for another Hunter. Again, I look around the room, only to see that most of the Zodiacs have fallen. After all, those who remained in Swardani are not physically exceptional. The half of the Zodiacs who were sent to Yorknew were known for their physical capabilities, whereas those who stayed were known for their intelligence.

    Chrollo stands before a bloodstained Cheadle, who coughs from the smoke in the room. She is battered from dust, and mild wounds, however Chrollo remains untouched. She glares at him, before her chest begins to heave, and she collapses into the ground.

    Feitan, Kortopi, and Phinks stroll in from the stairs leading to the lobby. Feitan's hands are in his pocket, and Phinks' arms are folded behind his head. Shizuku comes as well, her Hatsu activated, as she clutches Blinky the vacuum. Upon their arrival, she nods at Chrollo, who turns towards the rest of us.

    He waves a hand, and we follow him from the building, leaving a ruin of corpses and flames behind us. I lift my head to see the moon shine from behind wisps of clouds, and it feels as though I am free.

Author's note: If you liked the chapter, remember to vote! Hope to see you again soon :))
~Amorevolous