5. Peggy Carter

LOCATION: SMITHSONIAN

Stacey heads to the museum to take a look back on World War 2, she hadn't worked up the nerve to come here before, but now, she needed to. Over the PA is a voice "Welcome to the Smithsonian. Visitor information books are available on the second level." Stacey walks past several banners with her face on it, there's a whole exhibit just on her, just on Captain America. 

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honour, bravery and sacrifice. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Stacey Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform her into the world's first super soldier."

Stacey, donned in a baseball cap as a disguise, is picked out by a boy, who stares at her. She brings a finger up to her lips, not wanting everyone to know she's there. The boy nods, in shock.

Stacey walks into a room playing war footage "In this rare footage, everyone's favourite war hero, Captain America…"

"Battle tested, Captain America and her Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission: taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division."

Then she turns to see Johanna's face and she has to force herself to not break down "Best friends since childhood, Johanna Barnes and Stacey Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give her life in service of her country." Stacey is glad they dedicated a section to her, but they missed out one very important thing, something that no one knew, that they were soulmates. She pulls an old compass out of her pocket and opens the lid, stuck inside the lid is an old photograph of Johanna, it had survived along with her.

Stacey walks into a room and takes a seat in front of a screen, showing a 1953 interview with Peggy Carter, who she was friends with, and who trained her.
"That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped our battalion behind the German line. Stacey, Captain Rogers, she fought her way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. She saved over 1000 men, including the man who turned out to be my soulmate, as it turned out. Even after she died, Stacey was still changing my life."

LOCATION: CARE HOME

Stacey finally decides to talk to Peggy, she remembers the file she was given, saying she was still alive and calls the number. A care home answers the phone and says she can stop by for a bit, but warns her that Peggy has dementia and might not be awake for very long at a time. 

Stacey arrives and sits with a very old Peggy, after a very shocking welcome, the pair settle down. Stacey takes a look at the family photographs on her bedside "You should be proud of yourself, Peggy." "I have lived a life. My only regret is that you didn't get to live yours." Stacey looks down, sadly and Peggy notices "What is it?" "For as long as I can remember, I just wanted to do what was right. I guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. And I thought I could throw myself back in and follow orders. Serve." She smiles sadly "It's just not the same." Peggy laughs "You're always so dramatic. Look, you saved the world. We rather mucked it up." "You didn't. Knowing that you helped found SHIELD is half the reason I stay." Peggy reaches for Stacey's hand and she gently takes it in her own "Hey. The world has changed and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best and sometimes the best that we can do is to start over." Peggy starts coughing, so Stacey pours her a glass of water, she holds it out to her "Peggy." But Peggy just stares at her a moment, then her eyes widen "Stacey." "Yeah?" Peggy gasps "You're alive." She starts crying and it breaks Stacey's heart "You came back." Stacey forces herself to smile "Yeah, Peggy." "It's been so long. So long."