What Nobody Saw (Part 1)

Taehyung
24 July Year 22

2 weeks ago today, we decided to throw Jungkook a party to celebrate his being discharged from the hospital. We said, "Let's throw him a party when Jungkook comes out of the hospital." And we completely forgot about it.

With so many things that had happened since then, I had gone everywhere in Songju City with Namjoon, looking for that building including the classroom. On top of everything, the redevelopment plan had turned the whole city upside down. I didn't know how time had passed by so fast, and I had only remembered Jungkook's last day in the hospital the day before.

We had just left the classroom, and while talking about how to ask Seokjin about his father, someone said we should ask him at Jungkook's welcome back party. "Will Seokjin show up?" "We have to make him." "How?" "I don't know." We all realized it only then — Jungkook would be coming home from the hospital tomorrow.

We looked at each other surprised. The truth was that none of us paid much  attention to Jungkook. We had been preoccupied because of Seokjin, but that did not change the fact that we had been forgetful of Jungkook.

"Should I give him a call?" When I said that, Namjoon said no. "It's past midnight. Let's throw him an awesome party. Hoseok, you take care of the food as always. Taehyung, how about bringing party hats and stuff? Jimin•••." And Jimin said, "I'll get him a present. He'll like a sketch book."

"How about you, Yoongi?" When Namjoon asked, Yoongi's face broke out into a smile as he said, "My presence at the party will be a present. Namjoon, what are you going to do?" "I'm providing the place for the party."

We said to meet for the welcome back party at 7 in the evening the next day. I hung about the gas station, waiting for Namjoon to get off work. "We have to hurry. They let me out so late, we're not going to make it." said Namjoon.

He bowed a goodbye to his boss and walked towards me. I stood up. "We'll get there after 7." We walked side by side toward Namjoon's container.

"Do you think Seokjin will come?" Namjoon answered, "I'm not sure, but I think he'll probably come. I texted him." "What did you say in the text?" "We should talk about the map of the soul."

Jimin
24 July Year 22

I opened the container door and walked in to find no one. The air inside, heated by the afternoon sun, rushed out as if it had waited for the door to open. I fumbled to turn on the light. The florescent light flickered balefully before the room finally became bright.

I was 10 minutes late, but I was the first one there. I turned on the fan & looked at my watch. 10 past 7. What happened to everyone? Did something happen? Were they on their way here or not?

The place looked too empty to have a party. I gave a quick look around the place, but there wasn't anything I could use to make the place more presentable for the party. There were some of Namjoon's stuff, but definitely no balloons or party hats.

On some pieces of paper I found, I wrote Welcome, Back, Home, Jungkook & taped them on the wall, but they only made the place look more pathetic. I should have done a better job writing those words. I regretted it as I straightened the papers on the wall.

I checked the chatroom to make sure that everyone was on their way. 10 more minutes passed. A train passed by shaking the whole container. Seeing the whole world shaking through the open door, I thought back on the day when I had banged open the hospital door and run away.

Could I have done it if Taehyung, Jungkook, and all the others if they weren't there for me? Just because there is a door, an open door, doesn't mean that you can walk through it & step out from where you are. Maybe Seokjin was trapped somewhere. Waiting for someone to knock on the door.