For Us (Part 1)

Taehyung
10 July Year 22

I woke up, startled, because Namjoon was shaking my shoulder. "Are you okay?" I saw the worried look on his face, but I couldn't open my mouth to answer him. I had countless nightmares, but this was the first time to feel fear like that. Empty and blank, I looked down at a towel he handed me.

When I gradually stopped sweating, I recalled where I was and how I got here. Last evening, I came to Namjoon's container to avoid my dad's drunken rage. I became afraid of falling asleep. It began when I realized my godawful nightmares weren't just nightmares but somehow linked to reality.

Every dream was mindboggling especially the ones about Seokjin. The dreams seemed to be demanding some kind of answer from me. As if they were telling me that there was a problem and I had to fix it. But I couldn't do a thing on my own.

In the dream, I jumped into a blazing fire. I saw NamJoon's container. Hired goons came brandishing iron pipes, and the people that lived in the containers ran away or were down on the ground. Among them, I saw NamJoon with a black mask on. He ran into a container, and then a boy was literally thrown out of it. The next moment, someone screamed and the fire soared up from the inside of the container.

"Namjoon is not out yet. He's still in there!" I let out a scream, but there were no sounds, no words. I wanted to run to him, but my feet were kicking in midair. Everything slowed down, and I couldn't breathe. And someone was down on the ground. The people whispered. "Is he dead? Really dead?"

The scene in the dream changed to Seokjin. He was sitting in the middle of a meeting room. From the window, he was gazing down at the night scene. Sitting on the sofa, he fixed his eyes on the window. His face was terrifyingly cold and his soulless eyes were not really looking at anything.

Yangji Stream was among the things he was looking at. Across the stream were apartment buildings in Munhyeon City. Right below him was a line of brightly lit buildings. I saw a billboard for a canned coffee on one of building rooftops, and behind it was a commercial building with a four-leaf-clover logo displayed on the second floor. The window rattled from a gust of wind outside. The old moon looking like an upside-down crescent moon hung in the sky. It looked as small as a clipped-off nail.

Seokjin phoned someone, said a word or two, and hung up. A moment later, the light was turned off in every building. The world outside the window became pitch black in an instant. It was a fearful darkness not because the world outside had become invisible, but as if the world had perished, not just the buildings or the city. Seokjin smiled, finding it satisfactory. And he stood up and walked over to the door. That was when our eyes met. No, I thought they had. But he passed me and walked out. Unable to move a muscle, I simply watched him walking away.

"Can you find that place?" Namjoon asked, rubbing his chin. I shook my head. I saw Yangji Stream in the dream, but you could see that stream from any part of Songju. Think about it carefully. What floor do you think you were on Anything eye-catching in the scenes outside that window Or did you hear anything?"

"Why though?" To that, Namjoon said, "To go and find the place." I stared at him. "The place? Why?" "Because he didn't finish but said,

"Taehyung, do you think that will really happen? Things you saw happen in your dream. SeokJin makes a phone call and Songju becomes buried in darkness••• no, disappears?"

I couldn't answer him right away. When I thought about what had happened so far, my nightmares did become reality. But I couldn't be sure it would be the same again NamJoon said, "You're not sure, are you? So let's go and see If there is really that place. If it were to really happen. We need to find out what we should do."