For Us (Part 2)

Namjoon
18 July Year 22

If I didn't believe Taehyung's dream and something did happen, I probably would not be able to forgive myself.

Taehyung called early in the afternoon. The rain that had slashed down for five days straight had softened to a drizzle. "You're going to do it today, right?"

I met him at the Songju Station bus stop a little after seven. The rain finally stopped, and just the wind blew. It pushed away the black clouds, revealing the dark, blue sky. At the bus stop, we ate the sandwich and gimbap
Taehyung had brought. Their expirations were up or close to it. The train that had departed from Songju Station picked up speed and was gone out of our sight.

We passed City Hall and got off at the bus stop next to the movie theater. The convenience store we'd talked about was about 100 meters away from the intersection. Strange senses of expectation and fear crisscrossed. Taehyung said he saw the future in his dreams. I said believing something which you find hard to believe, that's really believing it, but I was a realistic person. At different moments, I was overcome with seething doubt and disbelief. And I asked myself: Do I believe Taehyung? And the answer was always the same.

"Look!" Taehyung stopped and tugged my sleeve. I stopped too. Taehyung was pointing to the four leaf clover placing a billboard logo. And beyond that, people were replacing a billboard. The energy drink was coming down, and a new billboard was going up. A canned coffee.

We didn't know who began to run first. It was only about 40 or 50 meters away, and it wouldn't have made any difference if we got there faster. The canned coffee billboard or the building across from it would not disappear, but we were in a hurry to get there. We got to the building with the billboard, panting, and took a sweeping look of the place. It was late, but there were many passersby.

I said, "Let's go up. We can't see from here." We went into the building, got in the elevator, and headed to the rooftop. We'd been here before, but back then, the metal door to the rooftop was locked, and all we could do was crane our necks out of the staircase window to get a looksee. But today, as they were replacing the billboard, the rooftop door was open.

When we walked past the door, there was a loud, metal clanking sound. Startled, we glanced at each other. The
workmen were fixing the billboard. We saw the building across from us — City Hall on the left-hand side and the
railways across Songju City on the right. Behind us were a shopping mall, the county welfare center, and some
commercial buildings. Nothing seemed taller than seven stories. "It must be one of them there." We scrutinized each building.

"You there! What are you doing there?" The building security guard approached us. "Are you here for the
billboard?" Right as I was about to say something, TaeHyung pulled me to his side. "There! Look over there!"

I looked where Taehyung was pointing — a building in the distance between the shopping mall and the parking
garage. We couldn't be sure but it looked about five stories high. I looked at Taehyung, and we started running down the rooftop.

We took the elevator down and ran across the road. We got to the street between the shopping mall and the parking garage. It was uphill. It was a summer night. The typhoon had passed, leaving behind moisture in the air. We sweated and our hearts pounded.

Only when we got to the building did we turn around. We looked down on the four-leat clover and the canned
coffee billboard. It was only a five-story building, but we climbed uphill. The building was located on the top of the slope. If we were to go inside, we should be able to look down on the whole city.

We looked up at the building. Some offices had lights on inside. Because it was close to City Hall, there were several CPA or law offices. The lights were on in the office on the very top fifth floor. And there was a familiar name hung out of the office window. The Office of National Assemblyman Kim ChangJun.