The final few hours

A few moments later we where staring at Katie's scans studying them close. "I'll be damned" Dr Shepherd said with a chuckle.

"It's minor but its there" He continued "It's a cerebachnoid haemorrhage. She's bleeding out into her brain" He explained and got up and started walking motioning for the tree of us to follow. "She could've gone her entire life without it even being a problem. One tap in the right spot" He started Christina finishing his sentence.

"It exploded" She said and Derek nodded.

"Exactly. Now I have to fix it. You two did great work. Love to stay and kiss your asses, but I gotta tell Katie's parents she's having surgery. Katie Bryce's chart, please." he asked the nurse at the desk. She handed it to him with a smile. The only thing I was thinking about was who would get to scrub in.

"Oh, and Dr Shepherd, you said that you'd pick someone to scrub in if we helped." I asked looking hopeful. He nodded and smiled.

"Oh, yes, right. Um, I'm sorry I can't take you both, it's going to be a full house. Meredith, I'll see you in OR." He says and I look at him slightly in shock. I expect Meredith to say something but when she doesn't I hear Christina scoff. Derek walks off leaving us alone. Christina stares at Meredith clearly annoyed at her.

"Christina..." Meredith started but she just walked away. I looked over to my sister. As much as I wanted to scrub in I can see why she did what she did. As much as she didn't want to be with Shepherd she had an opportunity that none of the rest of us had. I gave her a half smile and linked my arm with hers.

"You aren't mad?" Meredith asked with surprise.

I shake my head "No I'm not. I'm excited for you. You get to be in the ER Mer. That's amazing" I say with the biggest grin on my face. "Now come on let's go and try to find Christina." And with that we both started walking towards the tunnels where we assumed Christina may be.

******

Christina and Izzie are sat on a gurney in the tunnels when we found them. Christina looked pissed but I know Meredith felt so bad. Meredith walked up to the two and I just stood by the vending machine out of the way. " I'll tell him I changed my mind, you can..." Meredith starts but is interrupted by Christina.

"No, no, don't do me any favours. It's fine." She practically spat. Meredith was here willing to give up her spot in the OR and that's how Christina treats her?

"Christina..." Meredith says but Christina doesn't give her the chance.

"You know what, you did a cutthroat thing, deal with it. Don't come to me for absolution, you want to be a shark, be a shark." Christina said and I looked at her wide eyed.

"I'm not..." Meredith goes to defend herself but is once again interrupted by Christina

"Oh yes you are. Only it makes you feel all bad in your warm gooey places. No, screw you. I don't get picked for surgeries because I slept with my boss," Christina ranted. I go to defend Meredith but then Christina turns to me "and I didn't get into med school because I have a famous mother. You know, some of us have to earn what we get." She said. With that Meredith left without another word.

"Why aren't you more pissed?" Christina asked and I scoffed.

"Oh I'm pissed but not at her. I'm pissed at Shepherd. And so should you. She is an intern and should take all the opportunities she can get. Maybe he did pick her because he thinks she is hot. But if he did then that's his problem." I said to her and she stood there wide eyed. "And now I'm pissed at you too" I continue "Don't you every say I got into med school because of my mother. She never helped me with anything. Both me and Mer worked hard to be here okay?" I finished taking a breath in. Both Izzie and Christina stared at me the latter looking a little guilty.

********

A few hours later me and Meredith where walking towards the post-op station to catch up a little but as we walked in we saw the Chief of surgery Dr Richard Webber talking to none other than Alex Karev.

"She's still short of breath" Dr Webber said to the cocky intern "Did you get an ABG or a chest film?" He asked Karev and I looked to Meredith and smirked.

"Oh, Yes Sir I did" Karev replied

"And what did you see?" Webber demanded and Alex looked lost.

"Oh, well, I had a lot of patients last..." He started to say but was interrupted by Webber

"Name the common causes of post op fever" Webber demanded.

Alex scrambled to get a little note book out of his pocket "Uh yes sir" He stuttered

"From your head, Not from a book" Webber said humiliating Alex more "Don't look it up learn it, it should be in your head. Name the common cause of post op fever." Webber demanded again.

"Uh... The common causes of post op fever..." Alex repeated obviously not knowing the answer.

Webber then turned to the entire room and asked the question "Can anybody name the common causes of post op fever?" He asked and everyone but me and Meredith stood dumbfounded until Meredith spoke up.

"Wind, Water, Walking, Wonder drugs" She says answering the Chief's question.

"The 5 W's" I finish and then further explain "Most of the time it's wind, splinting or pneumonia."

Meredith then continued to explain "Pneumonia's easy to assume, especially if you're too busy to do the tests." We would often do this. Finish explaining for each other.

Webber gives Alex a pointed look before turning to me and Meredith once more "What do you two think is wrong with 4B?" He asked and I looked to Meredith as if to tell her she could take this.

"The fourth W, walking. I think she's a prime candidate for a pulmonary ambulism." She says with conviction and I nod.

"How would you diagnose?" He asked and this time it was my turn to answer.

"Spiral CT, VQ scan, provide O2, dose with Heparin, and consult for an IVC filter." I said and Webber nodded and turned to Alex.

"Do exactly as she says, then tell your resident that I want you off this case." He says and then leaves the intern and walks towards me and my sister "I'd know you two anywhere, you are both the spitting image of your mother. Welcome to the gang" He says and leaves me and Meredith.

A few moments later Meredith leaves me and I pick up a chart off the nurses station when I felt a presence next to me.

"You didn't need to embarrass me like that" A pissed Karev said and I felt my lips curve into a smile.

"I was simply answering a question Karev. You where clearly struggling" I shot back and he glared at me. Without another word he left to go and do the tests on his patient.

******

About an hour later I was once again sat in the viewing room watching Meredith's surgery with Shepherd. I watched in awe as Derek entered the OR.

"Alright people it's a beautiful day to save lives" Derek said and he started the procedure.

*****

It was finally the end of our first shift as interns and we had survived. The only thing I wanted to do now more than anything was go and tell my Mom all about it. Me and Meredith arrived at the care home and we where pointed in her direction. We walked up and sat with her telling her all about our first day and how we had survived. Mom just sat there with a blank look on her face though.

"Are you my Doctors?" She asked breaking my heart. It has happened many times, her not recognising us and who we are, but it never gets easier. It hurts more every time because it feels like she is slipping further and further away.

********

A/N- Episode 1 is done!!! So I'm not going to do all the episodes because I just and to get to Mark but I do need to develop the story further. Let me know what you think as I am really happy with how its going! XX