Chasing the Devil's tail

CHAPTER 24 - CHASING THE DEVIL'S TAIL

------------------------------

ELIJAH LAYS ON HIS BED IN THE COMPOUND, STILL ASLEEP. He's breathing erratically, covered in a thin sheen of sweat, and his muscles are tense, as though he's being overwhelmed by fear. Klaus stood by his bedside and talked to him.

"I know you are locked in battle, however deep in your mind, our mother has set the stage. Hear my voice," I stand in the doorway and watch. Elijah twitches anxiously in his sleep. "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in," Klaus puts one hand on his head, and one hand on his chest, hoping to gain entry into Elijah's mind. Elijah's body goes rigid as though he's been shocked and he begins to seize. "Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you," Klaus' nose begins to bleed, and groans in pain as he continues to try to break through, but he's quickly ripped off of Elijah me. I give him a look.

"What are you doing?" Hayley asks, walking in with a confused look on her face.

Klaus pants and wipes the blood from his face.

I turn to Hayley. "He's I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him," I explain.

Klaus gestures to Elijah, who is still sleeping fitfully. "Esther's locked me out,"

Hayley walks over to Elijah and looks at his neck. "Is this rash a side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?"

I look at her in confusion before Klaus and I check the mark. We both share a look, the flower all too familiar.

"I haven't seen this since I was a child," Klaus says. "Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant," He turns to Hayley. "If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou. You stay here with your wolves and mind the fort," He looks at me. "You're coming with me,"

I groan. Ughhhhhhhhhh. I really don't feel like ruining another pair of Gucci boots on a stroll in the bayou looking for a particular plant that might not even be there. But, I guess it'll be worth it if it means trying to help my brother out of whatever torment our mother put him in.

Hayley sighs. "I'd rather rip your mother's head off,"

Klaus looks at her seriously. "Stay clear of her. I mean it, Hayley. She already got to you once. What would happen if Elijah were to wake and find you a victim of her madness?"

"I won't go after her. I promise," Hayley says reluctantly.

"And I think I'm gonna stay here and make sure she doesn't do anything stupid," I tell him.

Klaus nods at the two of us before leaving. I listen to make sure that he's gone. When I hear the car start and drive away I turn to Hayley.

"You are definitely not listening to him, are you?" Hayley shakes her head. "I know my mother. You don't go after her, you go after everything she loves" I smirk. Hayley gives me a confusing look. I pick up my coat from the chair and pull it on. "I guess it's time to have a little chat with my evil brothers"

___________________

"The hell are you doing here?" Marcel asks me as I walk into his apartment.

"Well, while Hayley and her wolf friends are out looking for their alpha, I had nothing to do"

"And you decided to come here?"