Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

CHAPTER 4 - FRUIT OF THE POISONED TREE

-------------------------

I WALK INTO THE LIVING ROOM AND SEE Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other, both reading. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table as they listen to classical music. I look at the two in disbelief.

 After a moment, Rebekah enters

"So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" She asks. I chuckle.

 Klaus continues reading but answers " Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

" Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." he smiles.

 "And what's this business?" I ask, gesturing to the dead girl on the table. 

" This is a..." Elijah gestures as though he's searching for a word. "...peace offering." He says. I raise my eyebrow and fold my arms in front of my chest.

 "A peace offering?" I ask.

" I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish," Klaus says. Rebekah and I look at each other and roll our eyes.

" And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition and personal growth." Elijah says. Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl. "Not this nonsense". 

" Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus grins.

 "Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin because she's staining a two-hundred-year-old carpet." Rebekah points at the carpet. 

" I bought that carpet as a decoration. Not just for anyone to bleed out on it" I say. 

Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor. "Ah, yes." He says.

I turn to Rebekah and put my hand on her shoulder. I look at the girl before turning back to her. "Good luck," I say before walking to the kitchen. I take a glass and pour some scotch into it.

I look at Hayley who is currently making herself breakfast and rooting through the fridge. Elijah leans in the doorway. 

" Good morning" Elijah smiles. Hayley smiles back.

" Hey". 

Rebekah enters through the back door, dragging a trashcan behind her. I laugh and she glares at her.