The Map of Moments

CHAPTER 27 - THE MAP OF MOMENTS

-----------------------------------------------------------

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" KLAUS ASKS ME.

"Something's wrong" I say. "Elijah slaughtered a dozen people, whose only sin was their terrible taste in food. I mean, when have you known him to kill when he could otherwise compel? It's the kind of act that will draw our mother's attention,"

Klaus sighs. "Her torture must have affected him more deeply than I'd realized. Where is he now?"

I look back at Elijah's body which lay on the floor of the diner. "Rebekah broke his neck to keep her safe, but we have no clue what to do next,"

"Do you recall where we dined the Christmas after we fled Mikael?"

I turn back around, confused. "Of course. But wh-"

Klaus interrupts me. "Go there. Now," He hangs up the phone.

I pull it away from my ear with a sign before walking over to Rebekah, Hope and an unconscious Elijah.

"Come on, let's get out of here" I tell my sister.

"There was a time when I thought we'd never go back there" Rebekah whispers.

"Yeah, you and me both" I sigh and bend down, grabbing Elijah's hand. "Well, brother, let's take a trip down memory lane" I drag him out of the diner with Rebekah following me.

_____________________

I wall into the living room where Rebekah, Elijah and Hope we're with a bottle of wine iny hand. "Look at what I found" I say, examining the wine bottle. "Nik must have compelled a wine-lover to keep it up, because I found a 2005 bordot!" I hold it up to show the two but they both stay quiet. Elijah walks out of the room.

I look at Rebekah. She turns away. "Well, I guess this one's all mine"

____________________

Elijah sat on the porch with Hope, who is sitting in a baby seat while Rebekah andbI set up firewood. This was my favourite family tradition when I was little. We would all get together, write down our wishes on a piece of paper and burn it for good luck.

"It's alright, Elijah. She won't break. Everything you did was in the name of protecting her. I'm not worried," Rebelah tells Elijah. He looks down at Hope before picking her up and holding her.

"Hi, sweetheart" He smiles at Hope before looking at me and Rebekah who walk back to the two. "Is that what I think it is?"

"It's bonfire season!" I smile. "And we am reviving a family tradition! Especially since we're all going to be together," I explain.

"Only because we're fleeing from one of our deranged parents," He says and I give him a look. Way to ruin the moment, Noble one. "Another Mikaelson tradition. It's a peculiar thing, never to be tired, yet forever exhausted by the sameness of things. Why is our family always at war?"

Rebekah smiles and touches Hope's hand. "I don't know. But, being away with her made me see things differently" She says.

I sigh. "We're not so bad. We're not the monsters that our parents think we are,"