Getaway

White spectacles adorned the streets of London. The cold winter breeze lingers in the air as the city welcomes the holidays. This time of year, parties, galas, and all sorts of events take place to fuel the Christmas cheer.

Elite families never miss a mark when it comes to grand celebrations. Lavish parties, designer gowns, world-class venues among others are their way to brag about their status and wealth.

It is the busiest time of year.

However, despite the luxury and privilege one can display through numerous occasions, it most definitely cannot bring forth the warmth brought by the comfort of a family.

The chairwoman is no exception to the gnawing loneliness that has made its presence undeniable in the holidays. Having spent almost fifteen Christmases alone, the cold and icy feeling is not a stranger but a companion she has gotten used to.

Yet, things were about to change the moment Atty. Gong Hyo Jin walked into the office on the top floor of YSH London Headquarters.

"Chairwoman, Atty. Gong is here."

Ye Jin snapped out of her reverie. She tore her gaze from the full-length window that boasts the beauty of the London cityscape at night. She panned her swivel chair and turned towards the double doors of her office.

"Hyo Jin-ah, what are you doing here?" Ye Jin said as she stood up and greeted the criminal lawyer. She ushered Hyo Jin towards the sofa where the senior secretary has already settled.

"I looked up in your schedule with Ji Won's help and I saw that you are mostly free this coming week. Why don't we go to France?"

The chairwoman stared at the woman in front of her before casting a glance towards her senior secretary then back again. She took a deep breath and cleared her throat.

"Tonight?! I still have to prepare for the charity ball that is happening on the 11th. There are still minute details that need to be given attention to."

Hyo Jin tore her gaze from her high school best friend and looked at Ji Won. The senior secretary knew immediately the meaning of the lawyer's gaze which prompted her to speak up.

"Chairwoman, if I may, I believe that you have already settled everything. We are just waiting for the confirmations of the attendees and then you are done. So Hee and I can handle it. Aside from that, your calendar is free in the following days which is a first in 15 years. Your next schedule is just the ball, meeting with the mysterious charity donor, and an engagement party in Seoul which is something you could skip."

"I am certain that my head of legal has something to do with this but –

"And she does." A voice came from the head of legal herself who had just walked into the room.

The chairwoman rolled her eyes when the three women sat together and winked simultaneously. Ji Hye looked at her square in the eye and began her speech.

"You rarely celebrate the spirit of the holidays. I believe it was only twice that you celebrated Christmas eve with people – the first one was when I had to drag you out of the office and the second was when Nam Gil and Kristine plotted to kidnap you but aside from that, you spent it alone in the dark halls of Nesrin. Don't you ever get tired of it?"

Ji Hye then nudged Ji Won which prompted the secretary to speak. "Mam, maybe it is time to change a little. Put a little more color to your world. Take the time off. Just please try going on this vacation with your friends."

Ye Jin sighed heavily before answering, "Are you guys trying to get rid of me or something because it sounds like it. You know what I'm fine with this setup. Don't worry about me. Don't you know who I am? I'm Son Ye Jin and the holidays are not my thing. Besides, the annual YSH Charity Ball is coming up. I need to make sure everything is fine."