Invisible

Ch.16

School felt long today. Yejun didn't really know the reason why, but he knew he was bored a majority of the time. His eagerness to learn was steadily decreasing as days passed. Certain material was harder to grasp and it was easier for him to give up altogether. He'd much rather play games and have recess all day. Not to mention, he was a big fan of nap time. Those were all the activities that he loved in comparison to being taught. They weren't fun anymore. He didn't care about numbers or letters. Especially letters. He hated having to read the most. Now that they learned what the alphabet was and getting familiar with the sounds, they were beginning to learn how to put small sentences together. Immediately, Yejun was not a fan.

Learning to write like this meant reading his work to his teacher. He got nervous in front of her and hated how the class was divided into small reading groups. Each group had five students that would read a story together. It wasn't a big deal to the other students. They only did as they were told and reading was still a new concept. Still, Yejun noticed he read slower than his classmates. How could he not? He hated reading every time since he knew the others were watching him. Miss Hwang waited patiently for him, but he knew his other classmates found it annoying. They never wanted him reading despite Miss Hwang making Yejun read at least one sentence anyway.

The only person in his reading group that didn't seem to judge him was the quiet boy. Yejun was surprised when he found out the quiet boy would be in his reading group. He had meant to ask for the boy's name earlier and befriend him already. Things just didn't work out that way. That didn't mean that wish of Yejun's was gone though. Yejun would say he still didn't have any close friends. He got along well with others, but no one who invited him over to their house or to share his snacks with. He was wishing for that already and he had a good feeling about the boy who almost never spoke. The only time Yejun has heard his voice was when the boy read. Even then, his voice was quiet like a whisper.

The boy never bothered to look up at others. He always had his head down which Yejun found interesting. Then there were times when the quiet kid wouldn't be at school. It felt like the quiet boy went to the nurse's office a lot. Yejun focused a lot on this boy for some reason. The one who everyone seemed to ignore easily. Yejun had trouble ignoring him. He was just so curious. Why did they miss school? Why did they always carry that plushie around? What does he do in the nurse's office? These questions usually flew around Yejun's head, but he never once asked them. Something would always get in the way.

But today seemed like a good opening. Yejun sat at a table while the quiet boy sat at a different one across the room from him. School had ended for the day so the two of them were waiting to be picked up. Normally Yejun would have been picked up by Taehyung already. Today was different though. The older told Yejun that he would be picked up later and it would come with a surprise. Whatever that meant, Yejun was excited for it. For now that just meant that Yejun had been left with the quiet boy for what felt like the longest time. Miss Hwang was at her desk quietly writing so Yejun figured he could talk to the kid. It wouldn't hurt.

"Can I sit with you?" Yejun got out of his seat as he made his way to the other boy. They glanced up at Yejun for a second before their eyes went back down. They clutched their plushie tighter as Yejun came near.

"Um..." They were so quiet.

"I'm Yejun. Do Yejun!" Yejun introduced himself happily.

"I know..." The boy mumbled. Yejun only smiled at this. He was pretty well known among his classmates so this came as no surprise. However, what Yejun said next took the quiet boy aback.

"And you're Park Jimin." Yejun pulled the chair next to Jimin out. He sat down, noticing how Jimin's eyes grew.

"Y-You know my name?" Jimin stammered. He finally brought his eyes to meet Yejun's. It was probably the first time Jimin was having a conversation with anyone in his class. His hands were glued to the plushie in his hands. The plushie was a stuffed sheep that he could hardly let go of. He carried it everywhere and its white coat luckily remained clean. Jimin never did anything to dirty it and even if he accidentally got the smallest stain on it, it was washed out by his parent.