189

he ended up shoving past a couple of his own colleagues on his run through the silent halls of the hospital. the fluorescent lights flickered ever so slightly with each click of his heal on the linoleum floors, he was racing against time.

the lady at the front desk had sensed his panic and gave him a sympathetic look while pointing down the hall to the ICU, "room 304, dr. blythe."

normally he would stop and banter with the nurses a little, making light of a more melancholy environment, but today all she got was a curt nod as she watched his figure fly through the large doors.

when he made it to room 304 and threw open the doors all he found was diana sitting in a large recliner anxiously tapping her feet, and jane pacing the room muttering nonsense to herself. both heads whipped around to see gilbert's heaving figure standing in the doorway.

"where is she?" silence. diana picked at her fingernails, avoiding eye contact, while jane kicked at a nonexistent object on the floor.

"where is she." his voice was dark, he felt like all the air had been sucked out of him and he wouldn't be able to breathe again until he saw anne again.

jane slowly brought her eyes to his and pursed her lips, "emergency c-section." was all she could conjure up in her frazzled state.

diana stood and walked towards gilbert who looked like he was going to faint, "it's bad gilbert. she was bleeding and we didn't know what to do, we brought her here as fast as we could but- when we got here she was rushed here and then began pushing but something was really wrong. i'm not sure, they used so many big words. i didn't understand half of them. they took her into surgery about an hour and a half ago and we haven't heard anything sense. God, why is this place so quiet?!!" unlike jane, who could hardly speak under stress, diana tended to panic-ramble.

gilbert stared blankly at her trying to figure out anything that could be wrong.

"you said they took her in an hour and a half ago?" diana nodded, "somethings wrong. a c-section should only take forty-five minutes, an hour max. this isn't good. do you remember anything that the doctors said?"

jane spoke up then, " they said something about a uhhh, something fluid embolism?"

"and maybe sepsis? but isn't that like- a really old sickness? surely it's not too bad." diana was trying to find some sort of hope, but the look on gilbert's face said it all. it was really bad.

"jane, was it amniotic fluid embolism?" she nodded softly, worried about his expression. he sighed and rubbed his aching head. "diana, sepsis is an old sickness but paired with pregnancy it is terribly dangerous."

jane and diana sighed softly, "what does that first term mean?" jane whispered, not sure if she even wanted the answer.

he pinched the bridge of his nose. "it means a portion of the amniotic fluid or baby's cells got into her blood stream." before they could even ask the question he spoke, "it is very rare, and can cause the blood to clot. she could have a stroke or something much worse." the words came out of his mouth without and life, they felt cold and flat as the room seemed to soak in the information.

"maybe they'll let me scrub in. maybe i can see her, talk to the doctors before we jump to conclusions." he begun to grab the door handle when diana's hand stopped him.

"you know they won't allow that. all we can do is wait."

just then a small knock came from the hall and roy peered sadly from behind the door, two large food bags in his hand,

"um, jane said you guys may be here a while, so uh i thought you could use some food and company. the gang is coming soon too." his eyes scanned the hopeless faces of the room and he took a step back, "i can leave if-"

"please stay." jane whispered, almost desperately which was shocking for her. he looked at her sympathetically and lead her to the couch where he sat the both of them down.

"so... how's our girl?" it came out before he could stop it and he immediately gulped when he watched gilbert pacing the room practically ripping out his own hair.

"having an emergency c-section." was all
diana - or anyone - could say.

"gilbert, sit down please. you're making me nervous."

"i'm making you nervous?! anne's in there all alone diana. i promised her i'd be there. i promised i'd hold her hand the whole time. she's alone in there! she's probably terrified."

"it's not your fault gilbert."

"maybe if i was there i could've seen the signs—"

"no. it's not you're fault, she will be okay, we just have to wait. she'll be okay. you'll see. they'll both be fine gilbert."

he blew out a large breath of air and sunk into a chair, "i really hope you're right, di"

...

the safe delivery of the blythe's first born was unexpected to everyone. the baby was delivered unharmed at 11:04 am, tuesday, july 26th, weighing a shocking four pounds and seven ounces, and equipped with a full head of dark auburn hair and heavenly hazel eyes.

the child was a miracle, but the mother didn't make it out as easily.

a/n so, anyway. sorry not sorry about that cliffhanger, building suspense is fun 😩🤝

don't forget to comment your thoughts, i love all of your reactions so freaking much.

side note: go read my other books ( anne & gil oneshots or a new shirbert au ) !!!!! i love writing them so much !!

OKAY ALSO I JUST NOW FOUND OUT THAT I CAN *ONLY* HAVE 200 CHAPTERS??!! guess i'll have to wrap this up v v soon 😃🤚🏼