Broken lights

The girl sleeps deeply on her thin mattress with one of her hands on a knife. Its simple but effective, the handle is made of metal surrounded by leather, and the blade is short but sharp. When she lies down, sleeping, with her hand on it, it almost looks like she's at peace. But she soon wakes up and the plain cold facial expression begins to take shape again as she walks towards the old kitchen with short steps.

The kitchen itself is a small room with two chairs, a table, a refrigerator and a few  drawers and yellow kitchen cabinets. She is just so tall that she reaches up to the top kitchen cupboard if she stands on her toes. There's not a huge selection, and she ends up with a small white plate with blue squiggly patterns, it has cracked in several places and the color has faded. Kind of like her pants. A quiet chuckle escapes her, but she seems uncomfortable with the sound of it, and scared of her reaction.

An almost broken glass stands on the old bench in the middle of the small room and she grabs it and lifts it up, carefully not to completely break it before she puts it aside. Her movements are slow but exact as she grabs the rusty handle of the old fridge, and with a little effort opens it with a stubborn squeak. She's looking for something edible among the scarce food. Most of the food is old and the little girl makes a face at the fusty smell that comes towards her. The only thing that can be eaten is a small piece of cheese that actually should be called a slice. It is so thin that she's almost able to see the light through it if you hold it up towards the cracked lights in the ceiling. One of them flashes every now and then, but no one has checked it. Well, there's no one there to check it except her, but she likes to imagine that she's not alone.

The girl fills the broken glass in the rusty tap that coughs up brown water before she sits on one of the worn chairs and slowly gnaws on the cheese, it should preferably last extra long. She moves her cracked lips to the edge of the glass and sips a little on the liquid before greedily swallowing everything in one big gulp. She dries her mouth quickly with the dress hem and eats up the remnants of the old cheese. It's not worth saving it. She looks down at the plate and the glas, minutes passing.

It's time to leave.