Gunshots

I wake up. I'm going to find him. As I open my eyes the world around me becomes blurry. What's happening? The grass bushes gently agains my cheek as I turn my head and look up towards the sky. It's still cloudy, but in a few places the sun shines through and makes the dew in the grass sparkle. I feel so at peace, like this decision was the one thing I was supposed to do, and I finally figured it out.

A loud gunshot blasts between the mountainsides, and my ears start ringing as my eyes widen with surprise and shock. Throw yourself to the ground. The loud shot travel like an echo and I throw myself to the ground, just like I was taught to do. I keep quiet and cover my head with my arms, the years of training takes over. But I need to find him. I need to find him. I need to find...

"Hey!"
I flinch. Then I turn around, still with my arms over my head.
"Are you ok?"
"What?" I whisper.
My voice is dry and raspy. I can hear footsteps approaching before a shadow covers by sight. I know that I'm supposed to reach for my knife, but my body won't move.
"Are you okay?"
I can only mumble.
"Here. Eat." the voice demands. Then I feel a hand against the back of my head. A small bit of bread is pushed into my mouth. Never take food from strangers. It could be poisoned. I spit it out.
"You're starving."
Am I? I don't think so. Well maybe. I can't remember the last time I was hungry. Maybe I'm way passed that stage. Maybe I'm dying right now without even knowing it.
"Can you sit? I'm sorry."
Sorry for what? I sit up. Then I open my eyes. A young boy looks at me with a worried look in his dark blue eyes.
"Hey." he says again.
"Did you shoot?" I ask.
He nods.
"At me?"
His head stops and he looks at me for awhile.
"Of course not."
"Then at what?" I demand an answer.
"That." he answers, pointing behind me as I turn around.
I turn. A gray wolf lays on the side a couple of meters away.
"How? When.. Isn't there more of them?"
"They ran away when I fired."
I turn back and look at him. He's still looking at the wolf. A sad expression on his face.
"Come." he says, standing up.
"What? No."
"Yes. Come."
"No."
Never tell anyone anything they don't need to know. I get up to my feet and just as I start to walk in the other direction my head starts spinning. Maybe I am starving. I've heard that eventually your body gives up if you starve.

The boy catches me just as I fall agains the ground again.

But most importantly, never trust a stranger.