Teammates

I'm starting to reconsider my choice of this guy and my entire plan. At the moment it feels like I'm going backwards instead of forwards, and that's the opposite of what I'm supposed to do. I still need to find Edvin, and I'm not able to if I need to take care of another person that I'm barely able to move.

I'm sweating as I finally manage to drag the guy behind the rock again. He's completely out, and the potion will keep it that way for a couple of hours. Maybe a bit shorter because of his good condition, but still for a while longer. I've checked his pulse and determined that it's nothing serious, so the one that shoot at us probably wanted him alive but unconscious.

I stand quiet for a long time, my back againts the rough rock, studying our surroundings and constantly checking to see if some of the sniper's teammates decided to show up. Because I've also decided that he probably wasn't alone. Someone must've seen us coming, or known that we were walking close to that barn, and reported to the sniper to get in position. If the sniper has been alone, he would've needed to see us, run to the barn, and get in position before we were gone, and that's unlikely based on the distance and the time that would have been needed to do that. There must have been someone else, so I stay put, waiting for the someone that might come. Probably with some other teammates, because if there's two, there's often more. Never underestimate the capability of your enemies and competitors.

I've started to get the feeling that I somehow managed to involve myself in some unfinished business, and that's the opposite of what I want. To try and team up with the guy was one thing, but I didn't want this much attention. Just a little bit, so that they could look in my direction and never believe that it was me. At the moment it seems more like they would look in this direction and clearly notice a conflict was going on. Then they would look closer, and notice me. I need to try and fix this, because still, with the obvious rivalry going on here, I believe that this plan of teaming up is brilliant.

The sound of the dry leafs crushing makes me turn my head and narrow my eyes. The sharp noice comes from the other side of the rock, and I need to walk around it to see. I'm leaving the guy behind, but it's not worth it trying to protect us if I'm not aware of what's coming. Quietly, I round the sharp corner of the rock with my knife ready. An airgun with poison might be easier, but there's a possibility that it can be tracked, and I would also always have the need to by new capsules. With an airgun I would always be limited in how much I could use it since I only would have a certain amount of ammunition. Which isn't the case with my knife. Also, having an airgun would mean that I would need to meet up with new people and also waste a lot of time doing it. Both of them are things I still want to avoid doing. Especially wasting my time. Because I'm not able to get that time back, and I need it very very much.

It's now completely quiet again, but I stay put, looking for any signs of life. I'm still being careful to be aware of the guy's heavy breathing on the other side of the rock, so as I return after a while I know that he's still there, and based on his fluttering eyelids he's waking up.

We need to get moving.