Chapter 21 - Claire

8:23 a.m. BTS – 8/30/341 U.M.

8:23 p.m. SET – 8/30/341 U.M.

"Eru!" I say in greeting, a big smile on my face.

"What do you want?" he asks warily, opening his door just enough so I can see past him. His dad is working on a gadget at the table, and his mom is watching TV.

"I was hoping I could ask you a favor," I say brightly.

He sighs. "If this is about our history assignment, you know that I'm terrible with history. And essays."

"No, it's about your tech skills."

Eru raises an eyebrow. "If you want me to hack into the school's system to change your grade, forget it. I don't do that anymore."

"No. It has nothing to do with school."

He doesn't look like he believes me.

"Really," I insist, "It's something different."

He sighs again, and then slips out of his house. After closing the door, he leans against it and crosses his arms. "What is it, then?"

"Well, I was just wondering if you could set up a program for me."

"What kind of program?"

I bite my lip. "One that will tell me in advance if someone's going to blame me for Tehglo's disappearance."

"You mean like a probability algorithm? Too hard for just a 'favor'."

"Um, no. Not exactly," I say awkwardly, "I was thinking more along the lines of..." I trail off. How best to word this?

"You think Mehre's going to try to find a way to blame you." It isn't a question.

"...Yeah." I grimace.

He licks his lips. "Alright, I'll see what I can do. But—Great One—if something happens, I'll deny I did anything."

"Thank you Eru."

He sighs again. "Yeah. You're welcome." He slips into his house.

Feeling cheerful, I start walking back to my house.

When I get home, I hear, "Oh, Claire. Good. Can you run down to the Square and get Roland? He forgot to eat breakfast."

So, sighing, I tromp back through the tunnels.

"Roland, your mom wants you home."

I stand a good five feet away, feeling grumpy, and waiting. My cousin is sitting with a friend from Protector's training at the base of the Square. I think his name is Jaksn.

Jaksn looks away from my gaze, determinedly studying the wall behind him.

I shake my head in disgust. Either people are following me with fascination, or they are afraid of me. Claire Railstone, Earthling, and the only person to ever witness a Keeper's abduction.

I am sick of standing out.

But then, I am surprised. Jaksn sighs, and then turns back to me. He doesn't quite meet my eye, but sticks out his hand and says, "My name is Jaksn Harkham. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Feeling slightly gratified, I take it and shake. "Same."

Roland stands. "You want to come with me?" he asks Jaksn.