Chapter One

Dream sighed looking down at his bed. It was pretty late but he didn't feel like sleeping. He told himself that it was just because he wasn't sleepy but that wasn't the case at all. Dream was tired. He just didn't want to sleep. Dream would almost always have nightmares but it was getting worse. He had gotten less and less sleep because of it.

Dream had been lost in thought for a while and hadn't noticed that someone had entered the room.

"Dream?"

He suddenly jumped back in surprise.

"Oh uh.. hi Ink." 

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you.."

"It's fine."

"I just wanted to check up on you. You okay? I mean you've been acting a little odd lately. Is something bothering you?"

"Yeah.. I guess.."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Ink asked.

Dream shook his head. He really wasn't in the mood to talk. Besides, Ink had his own problems he had to worry about. 

"You look really tired.. I should probably go so you can sleep. Good night, Dream!" Ink exclaimed while walking out of the room and closing the door behind him.

"Good night.."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dream opened his eyes, glancing at the area around him. He immediately noticed the huge tree in front of him. Dream knew this tree all too well. The tree of feelings. It was dead. Completely and utterly dead. But right in front of him stood the tree still alive. Dream knew it wasn't real. None of this was real. It was just another nightmare.

His eyes landed on his brother sleeping peacefully on the ground next to the tree. He felt his soul sink in his chest. He wished that all of this could be real more than anything in the whole entire multiverse.

Dream suddenly noticed Nightmare's eyes fluttering open. He looked up directly at him, and rubbed his eye socket, yawning.

"Dream?"

He didn't respond. He just pulled Nightmare closer to him, wrapping his arms around him. Dream felt tears running down his cheeks.

Nightmare hugged him back but he soon realized that Dream was shaking slightly. 

"Dream?"

He took in a shaky breath trying his best not to cry anymore.

"I'm sorry Nightmare.."

"What? What are you apologizing for?"

Dream hugged on to Nightmare even tighter. A few tears ran down his cheek.

"Shhh.. It's okay.." Nightmare whispered, rubbing circles on Dream's back.

"Nightmare.. I'm sorry i'm really sorry!"

He looked completely and utterly dumb founded. 

After a while Dream stopped crying. He seemed to calm down quite a lot.

"Dream? What happened to make you cry like that I mean.. you're always so happy and.. just seeing you crying like that…"

He didn't respond, he just looked away.

"Dream, please tell me."

"Okay.. I mean I guess I can tell you this is just another nightmare again after all.."

"A nightmare?"

Dream nodded.

"What makes you think that? That you're still sleeping I mean?

"The tree.. and you.."

"What do you mean? The tree? The tree is fine Dream-"

"Exactly!" Dream exclaimed.

"What?"

"The fact that the tree is fine and you're fine I mean.. that proves it. This is just another nightmare. I'm sure of it."

"What do you mean? What happened to me?"

Dream frowned. "If this really is somehow real then its better that you don't know.."

"Why?"

He looked up at the tree. "Well you… you.." 

Nightmare´s eyes widened. "I didn't break our promise did I?"

"You didn't have a choice.."

"What do you mean I didn't have a choice?"

"If you didn't eat it you would´ve.. you would´ve… you would´ve died!" Dream exclaimed. He felt tears running down his face.

Nightmare stared at him, a horrified look on his face. "W-what?"

"I could never blame you for something like that.. I'm sorry I couldn't save you.. I tried, I really did! But I was too late.. I´m so sorry, Nightmare! " Dream exclaimed. He wrapped his arms tightly around Nightmare, embracing him.

"Dream.. "

"He was right.. I really was naive back then. If I just realized what was really going on I could've prevented all of it. "

Nightmare shook his head.  "I'm sure it wasn't your fault. "

"It was my fault I was so focused on everything else and you.. You were hurting and I didnt even notice! I'm the worst brother ever.

"No you're not Dream. You're the best brother I could've ever hoped to have. You're the sweetest most kindest monster I've ever met!"

"That's only because everyone else you've met has hurt you. I'm the best in comparison but I still hurt you.. "

Nightmares eyes widened. "You knew about that?"

"Not until it was too late."

Nightmare looked at him curiously. "Maybe it's possible that you actually somehow managed to time travel because I don't know any other possible way you could´ve known about that unless they told you of course but I really doubt that."

"I never thought that you would be the one talking about the possibility of time travel, Nightmare." Dream stated.  

"Well it hasn't been proven as impossible."

"How would I even manage to do something like that?"

Nightmare shrugged. "Oh wait there could also be another possibility.."

"What?"

"Well I've been reading about the possibility of alternate universes lately, maybe it's possible that this is.. I mean where we are is a completely different place from where you were before. Does that make any sense?"

"I guess but I've seen so many alternate universes and they're so diverse. None of them are even close to being like this." Dream sighed. "Well I guess then maybe I traveled to a completely different multiverse but that's a huge stretch."

"Yeah it is a stretch but you can't be sure that isn't exactly what happened. Wait, you said you've been to alternate universes?" 

"Mhm. I forgot you didn't know about that."

"What are they like?" Nightmare asked. 

"Well they are all vastly different. Some of them are very peaceful and some of them are not so much.." 

He nodded. "Do you think you could take me there? I mean like one of the alternative universes."

"I would love to but if this really is a completely different multiverse or if I somehow did time travel then we shouldn't leave the tree. That could have really negative consequences."

"Yeah.. You're right.." Nightmare mumbled. He leaned against the tree, sitting back down on the ground.

Dream sat down next to him. He squeezed his hand gently. Nightmare rested his head on Dream's shoulder.