Chapter Three

Hey it's been a while well I mean it's only been a month but still. I just wanted to apologize for taking longer than usual to write this chapter. Writer's block sucks. Anyways onto the chapter :3

Nightmare yawned quietly. He closed his eyes, cuddling closer to his brother. Dream pulled, Nightmare even closer to him. He wrapped his arms around him, keeping Nightmare close to him. 

He opened his eyes slowly. The light quickly poured into his vision. 

"Dream?" He mumbled, glancing over at him. He rubbed his eyes.

"Hmm?"

"You okay? Nightmare asked.

Dream nodded. "We should get up though.."

"I don't want to I'm tiredd!" Nightmare wined, holding onto him. 

Dream giggled. He rubbed Nightmare's skull affectionately. "You're always tired Night."

"I am not!"

Dream giggled again. He stood up, pulling Nightmare up with him unintentionally. Nightmare squeaked clinging onto Dream's arm.

"Sorry.."

"It's fine!" Nightmare chirped. Smiling brightly at him.

Dream felt as if his soul was melting. Nightmare was absolutely adorable.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You're just so cute!" Dream exclaimed. He gently squeezed his cheeks.

"I am not!"

"Yes you are."

"No. I'm not."

"You are."

"No, I'm not! Dream!" Nightmare exclaimed, tackling him.

Dream giggled while trying to get Nightmare off of him. "Come on Night we need to get up."

Nightmare crawled off of Dream and laid down next to him. "Why?" He paused for a moment before perking up. "Are we going somewhere?"

"Do you want to?" 

Nightmare nodded. He pulled himself up into a sitting position. Dream automatically noticed how excited he looked.

"Where do you want to go?" 

"Wait aren't you worried about the tree?" Nightmare asked, while glancing over at the giant apple tree behind him.

"I mean yeah but I'm sure it´ll be fine if we leave for a little bit."

"Are you sure?" Nightmare asked. He felt somewhat uneasy.

"Mhm."

Nightmare glanced back at the tree for a second. He had a bad feeling about this but he sucked it up and ignored it.

Dream squeezed his hand gently. He smiled softly at him. "It'll be fine, Night. We'll be back soon."

Nightmare nodded, acknowledging what Dream had said. He still felt uneasy though.

Dream summoned his staff. "I don't know for sure if this is going to work for sure so stand back, okay?"

He took a few steps back. He looked over at Dream.

Dream pointed his staff forward. It made a giant golden colored portal. Before he could do anything the portal erupted into a bunch of glitches. He stared at it in shock.

"That doesn't usually happen, right?"

"No it doesn't.. somethings wrong…"

"What do you mean somethings wrong? What's wrong?"

"I don't know. Like I said, that doesn't usually happen when I make portals.."

Nightmare gently placed his hand on Dream's shoulder, trying to comfort him. "Well what do you suppose we do about it?"

"I guess we could just wait and try later? I guess it's probably for the best that we don´t leave the tree." Dream said quietly.

Nightmare nodded. He was glad that Dream had said that because he was still feeling pretty uneasy about leaving the tree unprotected. 

"So what now?" Nightmare asked.

"Hmm.." Dream stood there thinking for a second. "I'm not sure. I guess I could go get you some books from the library if you want."

Nightmare shook his head. "I'm fine. Besides, I'm still not done with this one." He said holding up a big blue book in his hands. He rubbed the book cover gently. "Also it's probably for the best that you don't go anywhere especially into town. You look a lot different than you used to you know."

Dream looked down at his clothes. He had completely forgotten about them. They were almost completely different from how they had been when he was younger. One of the more obvious changes was his cape which used to be way longer than it was now.

After Nightmare had ripped it he had to fix it up a lot but most of the cape was gone leaving it rather short compared to how big it had been previously. Dream didn't look that different though his boots and gloves remained mostly the same and his crown remained completely unchanged. 

Nightmare patted his shoulder. "It's nice." He smiled, gently brushing his hands against his cape. "I'm glad you kept it."

Dream smiled back at him. "I could never get rid of it. Especially after you gave it to me."

Nightmare held his hand frimley, squeezing it gently. He smiled at him reassuringly. 

Dream took a deep breath and let it out. "I guess we could just stay here? Spend the day like we used to.."

"I'd like that." Nightmare said.

They both sat down leaning against the large apple tree.

"I missed this a lot. Well mostly I missed you but I also missed how things used to be."

He nodded. "I understand."

Dream leaned against him laying his head on Nightmare's shoulder. "I promise I won't let anything happen to you ever again."

"Dream. I can take care of myself." He said quietly. He gently rubbed his skull. A slight smile crept on his mouth. "We can take care of eachother, together. Like we always do."

He hummed in response. "I love you Night."

"I love you too, Dream."

Dream smiled brightly. He wrapped his arms around Nightmare, tightly squeezing himself. "I love you more!" 

Nightmare giggled, swatting at him playfully. "No you don't. I love you more!"

"I love you more than anything." Dream huffed, puffing his cheeks out.

Nightmare laughed even harder. "Oh my stars Dream."

"What? What's so funny?"

"You're adorable Dream."

"W-what! No i'm not!"

He giggled. "Yes you are."

"Nightmaree!" Dream wined.

"Oh come on! Don't 'Nightmaree!' me." 

Dream smiled. He playfully elbowed Nightmare in the shoulder.

"H-hey!" Nightmare exclaimed.

This just made Dream laugh even harder. Which also made Nightmare start laughing again as well.

The two laid down on the grass, both laughing like children. Just like they would do when they were younger. For a moment it made Dream forget about everything that happened and everything he had been through.