Love and Attempt 2/3

Back in the cold street of Nome, Jenna the husky was anxiously waiting outside a window. Her owner Rosy was inside, coughing, surrounded by many other sick children. 

Weary doctors and nurses were doing their best to tend to them

Weary doctors and nurses were doing their best to tend to them. Jenna shifted her feet in the snow, before growing impatient and worried. Finally, weighing her concern over training, she started to bark.

Rosy: Jenna? Jenna! Jenna! Hi girl!

She then ran out the door to greet her dog. Almost immediately, she starting coughing harshly. Jenna nudged her master worriedly but the girl's father came outside, wrapping a jacket around the pale girl.

Father: Rosy! Rosy, come on. You're gonna catch your death out here 

Rosy: Okay, Dad

Father: Come on, honey, the doctor's waiting 

The door shut behind them. More concerned and confused than ever, Jenna looked from one frosty window to another until she found one she could see the doctor examine Rosy in. Her face dropped as Rosy's parents exchanged a worried glance.

Me and Balto arrived at the town and peeked around the corner to see Jenna near the sick bay area.

Me: Okay there she is Balto, you know what to do

Balto: Okay here I go 

Balto then started making sure to checks himself out in a puddle, and tried unsuccessfully to stop the fur on his head sticking up, much to his annoyance. He then went over to the husky as I watched from afar. Balto then cleared his throat.

Balto: Uh...Jenna 

Jenna: Balto. Hi. 

She said, preoccupied, before turning back to the window.

Balto: Hi. Look, uh, it's just a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if ah, I dunno, maybe you'd like to go.. .chase a few sticks by moonlight? A heh heh!

His hopeful look vanished as he noticed her sad face as she sniffled.

Balto: Jenna? 

Jenna: Rosy's in there 

Jenna said and Balto jumped up to join her 

Balto: In a hospital? Why?

Jenna: She feels warm. . .she has a terrible cough. Balto, what's wrong with her?

The little girl looked as if her cough was causing her pain and the doctor's apprehensive face did nothing to calm the worry in the red dog's heart

The little girl looked as if her cough was causing her pain and the doctor's apprehensive face did nothing to calm the worry in the red dog's heart. Dogs were, after all, evolving side by side with humans for millennia. It was all too easy for Jenna to sense something wrong simply by the man's flickering eyes, stressed gait and fear-scent. Balto didn't answer for a moment. 

Balto: I'm not sure, but I know how to find out. Come on

Jenna followed his lead unhesitatingly. I quietly followed them while hiding in the dark

Balto gave her a worried smile before gesturing to a wooden door. 

Balto: I have the keys to the city

He then pulled the pins out of the hinges and opened the door with one nail extended. It looked almost human. Balto gestured for her to go inside first. 

Balto: After you 

As Jenna walked in, she noticed Balto's large paws. 

Jenna: Balto

Jenna: Balto

Balto gave a sheepish, self-deprecating laugh before his tone grew a bit darker. 

Balto: A heh, big paws kinda run in my family. At least, ahhh... one side of my family

He then walked in before Jenna, so she couldn't see his embarrassment. Jenna's ears lowered slightly, now knowing that had been the wrong thing to say to the wolf-dog. Jenna hurried to follow him through the boiler room and into a tunnel, coming up at his side. Balto pulled back in surprise before relaxing again and taking the lead. 

Balto: Stay close

Jenna: Heh! No problem there. 

After I watched them both go into the small space.

Me: Well, I guess I gotta wait a while, heh

I took out my box of cigs and lit one. I sat on a barrel next to me and took a few puffs. Don't ask why I do it, I can't damage my lungs, ain't that a kick in the pants to all the smokers.