A Twist and Apology

The doctor's footsteps echoed above the two dogs, voice muffled, kind, and resigned. 

Doctor: Goodnight Rosy 

Rosy: I'm so...cold... 

Doctor: Well I have another blanket for you right here, you just stay warm and get some rest.

After a moment, the footsteps sounded again. A few coughs. Then, the voice of Rosy's father.

 Then, the voice of Rosy's father

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Father: Doctor, how is she?

Doctor: Exhausted from coughing. And her fever's getting worse. Looks like diphtheria 

The doctor replied wearily. He ran his hand along an empty spot on his shelf and picked up a bottle of aspirin, sitting down with a thunk. He continued in a low voice.

Doctor: She's the eighteenth case this week. . .and I'm out of antitoxin. 

His words hung in the air, stagnant as the smell of sickness. Jenna turned away toward the exit in grief and Balto followed her quickly through the tunnel.

Balto: Jenna! Jenna, I'm sorry. I.. Jenna.. I ...I didn't mean to upset you. I shouldn't have taken you down there

Jenna: No, I'm glad you did.

Balto looked like he was going to say something when his ears darted forward and a crash sounded from behind them, a large black and white malamute knocking wooden planks and barrels over in an uncharacteristically uncoordinated move. I was hiding behind the building, in the shadows.

Me: What's that Malamute doing here?

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Jenna: Steele 

Jenna said as the dog approached holding a long link of sausages in his jaws. He approached with the unnatural confidence despite his mishap.

Steele: Well, well, what's wrong with this picture? Jenna, join me for dinner 

Steele said, throwing the sausage chain around her neck, pulling her closer. 

Steele: You start at one end, I'll start at the other, when we get to the middle, well. . .you tell me! 

He chuckled, sitting himself between Balto and Jenna. Balto watched, stunned for a moment before recollecting himself.