Beginning

New Year's Day had come and gone, passing two lonely hearts by.

In the comfort of his office on the Saturday after New Year's Day, the professor set his draft for an academic journal on public budgeting aside, closing his eyes in faint vexation over the fact that he wasn't quite focusing, try as he might.

He had thought it to be a great idea to go into office and bury himself in work, but alas, that did nothing for him.

Work had always been the most effective distraction; he would set off from home in his car on the days he drove, joining a long train of others in an endless river of metal, fatigue and frustration.

Following red tail lights by morning, and by night on the roads of Seoul, the professor had worked a good number of his days away. Some days he did not see the sun, and did not even have an idea of the weather outside.

Today was one of those days, when his mind drove in autopilot mode, for the bulk of it was already dominated by a certain girl and her mesmerizing eye smiles.

It was only the second day of the new year, and already, Hyun Bin had opened up consultation slots to his postgraduate class. He couldn't possibly lie to himself; a part of him had fervently wished for Yejin to sign up for a consultation slot.

 He couldn't possibly lie to himself; a part of him had fervently wished for Yejin to sign up for a consultation slot

Much to his disappointment, she had not.

The urge to see Yejin in person was burning like a persistent flame within him, but he knew better than to exert any pressure on her. If anything, the professor found himself questioning; did he scare her with his declarations of love?

Had he been too forthcoming, such that it had become a burden that shackled instead of freeing her?

Perhaps this is how it feels like to fall in love, like reading a story you never wish for to end, and had no means of putting aside.

Son Yejin certainly reminded him of a well-written novel— as a synopsis she was intriguing, but every subsequent chapter and every single page revealed layers and intricacies to a multifaceted personality.