thirteen

When Carter finally made it home it was later than he'd hoped. The board meeting had lasted for three hours and then his new assistant Tanner had talked his ear off afterwards. He'd missed lunch and dinner and knew the boys would probably be upset with him.

No one met him at the door as he entered. He could hear the sounds of the television, which meant they were watching something together and he immediately walked towards the living room, quietly pushing open the door.

Noah sat in the armchair, Travis, who was playing a game on his switch, sat in front of him, leaning against his legs. Kit, Riley and Tye occupied the main sofa, and Artemis was sat in front of Tye as the boy French plaited his hair carefully. Alexis was sat in the other armchair.

"Hey loves." He greeted as he entered. Noah looked at him angrily.

"Where've you been?" He asked angrily as Carter sat down beside Tye, who looked up from his work and gave him a sleepy smile, before continuing plaiting Artemis' hair.

"My meeting overran and I got a new assistant." Carter explained tiredly.

"We missed you." Noah added in a small voice.

"I'm sorry love, I didn't mean to be gone so long." Carter sighed. "I managed to get an extra three days off." He added, earning a satisfied nod from Noah. "So what are we watching?"

"Victorious. Tye's never seen it." Alexis explained, keeping his eyes trained on the tv.

"Its kinda weird." Tye commented, he had finished Artemis' hair and the taller boy had squeezed in between him and Riley.

"Its a cultural experience baby." Riley told him.

"I don't think it is." Tye frowned. Carter laughed, spending even just the day away from them had hurt his heart and he was glad that he was home and had an extra few days with them before he would have to go back to his office again.

^^^
"I still don't get how you haven't been caught yet." Travis laughed as he and Tye shared the younger boys vape between them.

Tye shrugged. "We only use it in here or outside." He pointed out. Travis nodded at this.

"Fair point."

"I still don't get what Carter has against it." Tye inhaled the sweet cherry vapour, he only had a few left and he didn't know when he would be able to get some more, and so he and Travis had simply vowed to enjoy it while they could.

"Me neither, he's so chill about nearly everything and then you mention smoking, vaping or drinking and then boom, he's angry and upset." Travis sighed. He loved Carter, god knows he did, but the man was impossible sometimes.

"Its not like he's an old man either." Tye mused.

"Exactly, he's only twenty six." Travis sighed, he took the small metal rectangle from Tye. "And we're all adults, apart from you, and it's not like we're smoking weed or snorting cocaine or something."

"I'm almost an adult." Tye pointed out, Travis laughed.

"Yeah, but you're three years younger than me and Alex and we were the youngest." He replied. Tye stared at him.

"You're twenty?"

"Since last month." Travis nodded.

"How long have you been here?" Tye asked, his vape abandoned in his hand.

"I moved in two and a half years ago, I was about your age." Travis sighed, he reached out to smooth Tye's hair. "I was scared too, but this is the best thing that ever happened to me. Trust me."

Tye leaned into the touch, resting his head on Travis' shoulder. "I know it's just... I don't know."

"Its okay." Travis wrapped his arms around the younger boy, feeling him barely flinch at the touch. Tye had become a lot more used to being held and was slowly stopping being afraid of it. Tye hugged him back, his arms looping around Travis' waist, his head buried in his chest.

The two sat on Tye's bathroom floor for a while, until there came a knock at the door.

"Tye?" It was Carter. Travis looked at the younger to find him asleep, he smiled softly at him and then turned his attention to his lover.

"Come in."

"Trav?" Carter frowned, opening the door, taking in the two cuddled up together. "What are you two doing in here?"

"We were talking." Travis shrugged, wrapping his fingers around Tye's hand to hide the vape they had been working so hard to hide from the man. "I guess he fell asleep."

"Why are you in here?" Carter asked, crouching down to their level so he felt less like an outsider in the doorway.

"You know he likes small spaces." Travis shrugged. "What time is it?"

"Gone eleven PM." Carter replied. "You two have been up here a while."

"I didn't realise, no wonder he fell asleep." Travis laughed, he looked back at the boy in his arms and sighed. "Look at him, Carter he has to be ours."

"He will be, I'm sure he loves us as much as we love him." Carter nodded. "Come on, you can't stay here all night."

Travis nodded and shook Tye awake, the boy opening his eyes with a jump. "Hmm?"

"Come on, bed time." Travis told him, pulling him up with him. Carter took both into his arms.

"Goodnight loves." He kissed Travis' forehead before letting them go. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Night Carter." Tye murmured sleepily, Carter smiled at him before he left them. Travis sighed and took the vape from Tye's hand, putting it in his sock draw. After prompting Tye to clean his teeth and change into his pyjamas, Travis turned to the tired boy.

"Come on, you can stay with me tonight." Travis took Tye's hand and led him down the corridor, the sleepy boy just following him blindly, his brain too clouded by sleep to really comprehend exactly what was going on.

When they got to Travis' room, the slightly taller boy tucked him up in his bed while he got ready for bed. He exited his bathroom to find the younger already asleep. He couldn't help but watch him sleep for a moment.

Tye's long eyelashes hid the dark bags under his eyes, his cheeks were flushed slightly with sleep and the warmth of the bed, his nose ring, which he seemed to periodically take out, was a sudden flash of silver and his hair was messy and slightly curled. Travis smiled at him, turning on his lamp and switching off the main light.

He made his way to the bed, sliding underneath the sheets and wrapping his arms around Tye. In his sleep he seemed to recognise Travis as somebody safe and he responded to Travis at once, reciprocating and hugging him back.

Travis lay with the younger in his arms, he felt like the two were really bonding and he was glad they were getting closer.