thirty six

It took them forty minutes to walk to the lake when they were all ready. The sun was shining brightly and they were all in high spirits.

They were enjoying seeing Tye in such high spirits. He was walking hand in hand with Alexis, the two chatting quietly. In truth nothing they were saying particularly made much sense to Kit, but to see Tye smile for the first time in a long time, was worth it.

The lake water was calm and glistening when they arrived. They settled on the grass, Noah and Artemis running to the water instantly, shirts already abandoned beside the waters edge. Tye sat with Alexis and Riley, who were teaching him to make a flower crown.

Kit and Travis sat together by the waters edge, they would have sat with Carter, but his phone had rang and he had answered it ten minutes ago. He was still on the phone.

But not everything could be perfect. Carter looked stressed, which bothered Kit, he had wanted a day where everyone was relaxed and simply enjoying each others company.

He was angry they couldn't even be allowed that.

"Kitty." Travis said, finally getting the redheads attention, he looked at him, Travis' fingers tangled in his. "Its okay."

"I wanted this to be perfect." Kit sighed.

"It is." Travis promised. "We're all here together, Carter will be finished on the phone soon, We're all happy."

"You're right." Kit nodded. Travis smiled and kissed his forehead.

Artemis and Noah were messing around in the water, Noah had managed to tackle Artemis to the floor and was sat straddled in his lap triumphantly.

Tye laughed making them look over to him. Riley had finished his flower crown and placed it on Tye's curls, kissing the tip of his nose as he did so.

"I haven't seen him smile in so long." Travis murmured, he wrapped an arm around Kit's shoulders.

Kit nodded, but his attention had turned to Noah. Noah and Carter's relationship had reached a rocky point, they barely talked and Kit was pretty sure they hadn't sat and had that conversation they desperately needed.

"Noah and Carter will be alright too." It was like Travis was reading his mind. "This is something they have to work out together, you've tried to help, but there's nothing else you can do."

"I don't want to lose them." Kit murmured, a familiar spike of fear piecing his heart.

"We won't." Travis promised. He got up and pulled Kit up after him, dragging him over to where Tye, Riley and Alexis were sat. Their flower crowns were mostly finished and Riley was helping Tye connect his all together.

"Tye baby you look so cute." Travis gushed as they joined the little circle. Tye blushed, he finished his crown and placed it on Alexis' head. "Alex look at you!" He added.

Alexis shrugged. "Thanks." He kissed Tye's cheek and went back to his own crown, which he was making for Riley.

"Alex, what's wrong?" Travis asked, Kit had pulled Tye onto his lap and was holding onto him like his life depended on it.

"I think we should go away for a while." He finally answered, picking another dandelion. "Like a holiday."

"That sounds amazing." Riley clapped his hands.

"You're right, we need to get away for a bit." Travis nodded.

"Carter won't agree." Kit said, his voice muffled by the fact his face was buried in Tye's back. Tye rubbed Kit's arm thoughtfully.