42

YeongMi had been reduced to faint sniffles, her arms now lazy around Namjoon's waist. Slumping, she eventually ended up lying on his lap, hugging his leg as he gently played with her hair, his other hand loosely holding hers. He hoped no teachers would walk by and break them up, because, even if his legs had long since fallen asleep, he didn't want anything to interrupt YeongMi. Whatever details that she didn't want him to know - they must be bad. And though he did his best to swallow back the dread, he feared what might become of this, if this Seth guy was really here in some elaborate ploy to get revenge. 

YeongMi was unresponsive, and he hoped that she'd at least get some rest now - but that wouldn't be the case. She winced, hugging his leg tighter as she shifted on the bench. 

YeongMi had never liked hospitals. The sound of machines beeping, the sickly stench of cleaning products, crisp clicks of shoes on ugly white tiles. The whole of it felt like an eyesore, and always made her feel uncomfortable and anxious. 

And yet here she was, sat on an uncomfortable stool,  her hand holding the clammy hand of Seth. It was sweaty, frankly gross, and she wanted to pull away, but she'd put him here, even if it was an accident. So, she felt she had to at least do this much. His lip was swollen and split, though it had stopped bleeding, and she could now see just his teeth. One front tooth had chipped a corner off, though the doctors said he was lucky the entire tooth hadn't just completely broken off. 

Oddly enough given the past conversation, just moments before all this happened, now hours ago, when Seth woke up, YeongMi leaned down and kissed him. 

After that day, something changed with Seth. Maybe it was the new "bad boy look" he claimed his chipped tooth and split lip gave him, but his personality turned to much more like that of Markus'. When the split lip and bruises remained, he started telling people he'd gotten them in a fight, or that he'd jumped rather than been pushed, whatever he thought sounded cooler at the time. He stopped just chasing after YeongMi, and got plenty other girls, though he always dropped them the moment YeongMi so much as looked his way. YeongMi wondered exactly when it was that those roles reversed, and she was the one chasing after him, investing in it more than he did. 

~

Her furrowed brow relaxed into one of confusion, and she opened her eyes to find Namjoon leaning over her, after having kissed her forehead. A small smile tugged at her worry-bitten lips. "Classes are over. Its officially the weekend." 

YeongMi sat up, stretching with a strained exhale, before wrapping her arms around Namjoon's shoulders, leaning in to give him a quick peck. She could never get enough of the lovesick expression he always held when she initiated little affections with him. The way he looked at her... It made her want to be a better person, the kind of person she saw reflected in his gentle eyes. 

"How about a little trip home to decompress and get this off your mind?" Namjoon suggested, once he'd regathered his wits. YeongMi didn't comment on the fact that he said "home" without stressing that it was his home. She just held a small smile, nodding. Half an hour later, they were on the bus with poorly packed bags. YeongMi held his hand in both of hers, resting them on her lap as she leaned on his shoulder, his arm a comfortable weight on her chest. He turned to give her a soft kiss on the head, and she gave a small sound of amusement muffled by her pursed lips, waiting until he pressed a kiss to her lips too. 

Happy, and holding back the floodgates of her extensive bad history, she decided she could pretend it wasn't happening, if just for a weekend. Namjoon called his mom on the way to let them know, and the sound of Geongmin squealing in the background made YeongMi smile.

With a full belly and a warm chest, YeongMi lay in the guest bedroom, hugging the comforter to her as she smiled up at the ceiling. A soft knock came at the door, and she sat up, expecting her boyfriend. Though, it was Geongmin who peeked her head inside, waving something in the air as she carried a flashlight. YeongMi cocked her head in question, and Geongmin slipped inside, shutting the door gently before jumping on the bed, scrambling beside YeongMi. 

"Lookie lookie!" She whispered excitedly, and now YeongMi could see that it was a journal or diary of some sort. "Do you dare?" She asked dramatically, holding the flashlight under her chin so it cast onto her face, shadows dancing on the walls. YeongMi just chuckled and shook her head, laying back, lifting her arm so that Geongmin could cuddle beside her, half-paying attention as the younger girl whisper-read the contents, showing her pictures and stickers, and YeongMi realised that this belonged to Namjoon. She scolded Geongmin for the invasion of privacy, but stole one last look before she took the journal, bonking Geongmin on the head with it. 

Geongmin just blew raspberries at her, "you're no fun." YeongMi flicked her head in response, eyes already closing again. "Can we have a sleepover?" Geongmin asked after some time, not wanting to go back to her room now, or get caught with the goldmine she'd found. "I've always wanted a sister to do sleepovers with," she whispered. When there was no response, she frowned, turning to find that YeongMi had already fallen asleep.